Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
New Home Owner

Rewards Points: 25

Can I cover this hole with insulation? [pics]

I have some friends that are moving into my basement for a while. I've painted and updated the place, but they are located right beside my furnace which is in the other room.

It is very loud when it is on, and all that separates them from it is thin wood paneling. I don't want to replace it with drywall, but I would like to install some Roxul on the stud wall beside it. That will make a sound barrier which is fire resistant too.

Here is a pic of the stud wall beside the furnace.

My main concern is a hole that goes from the furnace room to the closet of the bedroom. I think a lot of sound will come out of there so I would like to dampen it. In the hole is the vent pipe from the furnace and it goes up the old fireplace chimney I think.

Here are a few pics. The first is of the room with the closet at the end, then I narrow in on the closet, then on the hole.

Now here is the hole from the furnace room.

So can I stuff the Roxul around this hole? Of course this vent gets hot, but not sure how hot. I touched it once and it was just warm.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brandon

Brandon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,814

That flue pipe needs a min clearance of 6" from any combustables.
Also. That hole may be the only place that is allowing combustion air in for the furnace and water heater.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Wow.

That flue connector need a lot of attention.

It's way too long a run to your chimney. The flue length willl cool done the the furnace and water fumes to the point that it will rot out that the pipe in a short time.

If you are venting in a brick chimney with out a liner you are tearing up the chimney too.

You're going to need "B Vent" and a liner to avoid a deadly carbon monoxide condition.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
New Home Owner

Rewards Points: 25

hmm, I didn't know the exhaust had to remain hot while exiting. I just bought the house two months ago and the home inspector didn't say anything.
I found B vent info here so maybe I will check it out. It sounds like I could pull the insulation tight to this, which was my original problem.

Oh and the furnace room is not closed at all so that hole would not be the only supply of combustion air.

I'll put the Roxul on my stud wall and see how loud it is with the closet closed.

Thanks
Brandon19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
Wow.

That flue connector need a lot of attention.

It's way too long a run to your chimney. The flue length willl cool done the the furnace and water fumes to the point that it will rot out that the pipe in a short time.
Very true. Even with tybe B vent you're very limited in how far you can run it horizontally (less than 45 degrees). If my memory serves me correctly, total horizontal run in the basement and attic typically cannot exceed 18" for every inch of pipe diameter....That only applies to combination vents (multiple fuel burning appliances on the same vent) like yours. Single vents serving single appliances have much less restrictive requirements.

You might consider sheet metal to block off the space around the flue.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Very true. Even with tybe B vent you're very limited in how far you can run it horizontally (less than 45 degrees). If my memory serves me correctly, total horizontal run in the basement and attic typically cannot exceed 18" for every inch of pipe diameter....That only applies to combination vents (multiple fuel burning appliances on the same vent) like yours. Single vents serving single appliances have much less restrictive requirements.

You might consider sheet metal to block off the space around the flue.
he's way over on the allowable amount of elbows too.

I'm betting there is long duration spillage before that WH starts too vent correctly.
No sign of rust around the WH draft hood. Install might be too new for it too show.

Somebody should smack the install crew or the inspector (assuming a permit that is).

Should get a combustion check on that system find out how weak the draft is.