Can I Charge Via Subcooling In The Winter? (heat Pump/txv) - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #1
Extreme DIYist

Rewards Points: 75

Can I charge via subcooling in the winter? (heat pump/txv)

I am reading up on how to check the charge on my r410a heat pump. Since it has a TXV I know that I need to use subcooling, but what I am unsure of is if I can do this when it is cold outside. The unit is a Goodman GSZ13024 and according to the product specs it should have 9 degrees +-3 of subcooling in COOLING mode. It doesn't specify subcooling in heating mode.

Can I check it in heating mode? Or is the only way to evacuate and weigh it in?

Advertisement

Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Call for cooling and charge for subcooling....It's easy to do subcooling in cooling.

Advertisement

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:31 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,466

Not sure anymore. But I think it has a piston in the outdoor unit for heating.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Without a subcool chart for heating you really wont know how much is right. Some brands with charts range from 5 to 25 in heating mode depending on coil matches. Your best bet is to measure air flow then charge to the correct BTU output.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

weigh it in with an ACCURATE scale....if your in door coil is a true match and you calculated the line set length correctly then you you will be spot on.

One thing, Hvac5646 mentioned you have some splices of smaller diameter liquid line in the 3/8" copper?
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Extreme DIYist

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
Without a subcool chart for heating you really wont know how much is right. Some brands with charts range from 5 to 25 in heating mode depending on coil matches. Your best bet is to measure air flow then charge to the correct BTU output.
Where can I find a subcool chart for heating? I don't have the tools or know-how to measure air flow or BTU output, but I have been meaning to learn about airflow so I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
weigh it in with an ACCURATE scale....if your in door coil is a true match and you calculated the line set length correctly then you you will be spot on.

One thing, Hvac5646 mentioned you have some splices of smaller diameter liquid line in the 3/8" copper?
I do have 5/16" liquid line, with 3/8" spliced to the ends of it. I didn't notice this until after I installed my system because it was several feet out. One problem is that I do not have an accurate scale. I could certainly convert the LL to an equivalent 3/8" length based on volume, but then wouldn't I need to take into account the longer suction length somehow as well, or is it negligible since it is vapor?

I think my charge is pretty close, but I'd like to check it anyway if for no other reason than to learn something. This is the unit I have, for reference: split system.

Advertisement

Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote