Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2011, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

C-Wire on New T-Stat installation

Hello,

I am new to the forum and glad to be here. I have spent some time browsing and have not found exactly the answer I am looking for.

I just bought a thermostat that is wi-fi enabled and requires power from the C wire. When I detached my old thermostat, the W, Y, G, and R wires were connected. There were also two orange, a blue, and a black wire bundled, but not connected to anything.

If it helps, it is the 3M Filtrete wi-fi/touchscreen t-stat and I have a York air handler.

I looked at the wire panel in my air handler and the same wires (2 O, Blue, and black) were present, but not connected. On the panel, there is a white wire connected to the C terminal, but does not run to the thermostat, it goes somewhere else, not sure where.

My question is this: can I use one of the disconnected wires (orange, blue, or black) as my C wire? This would entail having TWO wires connected to the C terminal at my air handler. IS THIS POSSIBLE OR WOULD THIS NOT WORK?

I just want to make sure this will work before I try it out. Thanks in advance for your help!

sb144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Use blue wire to connect on C at air handler and thermostat.

I installed 3M-50 today.....very nice btw

When you have everything setup check this website ==>http://www.thermostatmonitor.com/

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.

Last edited by JJboy; 07-10-2011 at 12:34 AM.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply! So it would be okay to attach the blue wire to the C terminal at the air handler even though there is another wire there already?

Glad to hear it's a nice unit!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, Shut off air handler connect all the wires. To test do not install the batteries. Turn on air handler, the thermostat should be energize. Turn off again and install the batteries. You are ready to setup the wi-fi.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJboy
Yes, Shut off air handler connect all the wires. To test do not install the batteries. Turn on air handler, the thermostat should be energize. Turn off again and install the batteries. You are ready to setup the wi-fi.
Awesome thanks a lot!