A/C Wall Unit Fan Not Coming On? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

A/C wall unit fan not coming on?

What do I do if a fan is not coming on in the unit that I had recently installed in the wall. The unit is running, and I can change the temp. gauge up or down, but no fan blows.

It's a Magtag window unit, that I had installed in the wall, during the summer. It worked fine when it was in the window, and I'm wondering if the handyman I had installing it, did something when he lifted it to fit into the wall opening.

Could someone advise if It would be worth it to have a repairman from Maytag come out for a service call of maybe $100-150., and then tell me it's not worth fixing? What are some possibly causes of the issue?

Thanks for all of your help! ttd0715

Advertisement

Ttd0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Pull the face off the unit. Stick your hand in there. See if you can spin the fan or its locked up.

No i wouldn't pay 150. You could by a new unit depending on btu for 300 (10,000) I have all Frigidaire. Can't say enough about them. Just have to make sure they will slide into your box.

Advertisement

Last edited by 747; 12-17-2013 at 05:01 PM.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
Pull the face off the unit. Stick your hand in there. See if you can spin the fan or its locked up.
Be sure the unit isn't plugged before doing the above.

Last edited by sublime2; 12-18-2013 at 12:31 AM.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,562

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Be sure the unit is in plugged before doing the above.
And that the breaker isn't tripped, or off.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #5

Thanks for the advise. I will try unplugging it and then sticking my hand in there to see if the fan turns, and if it does, then I will plug in and try again. If not, I guess, like you said, buy an new one.

p.s. The power is on, because the green light is on the plug, plus you can hear it running, but the fan doesn't come on. Could it have sometihing to do with me turning it on when it's winter time?

Excuse me for the ignorance, but what do you mean by the box? Is it the metal frame that it is supplosed to be sitting in? If so, it's not, and I guess I should have it pulled out and I could get one, if I knew where to buy one?

Ttd0715, Trish
Old 12-18-2013, 07:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

could be a bad run cap on the fan motor!
circuitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #7

Well.....I unplugged the unit, and truned the fan, although it turned, it was very difficult to turn. I had a friend pull the unit out of the wall. I don't know what a bad run cap is, and how would I even get to it if it's around the fan area?

I wanted to let it dry out a bit, and then I was going to try and run it again.

The problem may be that I put the unit in the wall withougt a box, and therefore it got wet? I was also wondering what the difference is in a "in the wall unit" and one that goes in the window? This was a window a/c unit.

Thanks! ttd0715
Old 12-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,352

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttd0715 View Post
Well.....I unplugged the unit, and truned the fan, although it turned, it was very difficult to turn. I had a friend pull the unit out of the wall. I don't know what a bad run cap is, and how would I even get to it if it's around the fan area?

I wanted to let it dry out a bit, and then I was going to try and run it again.

The problem may be that I put the unit in the wall withougt a box, and therefore it got wet? I was also wondering what the difference is in a "in the wall unit" and one that goes in the window? This was a window a/c unit. Thanks! ttd0715
Basically, wall units have a slide out chasis which allow you to slide the ac out so it can be easily serviced and they are vented differently. Window units have a fixed chasis, and in my opinion, should not be installed in walls, because of the venting and supporting differences between the two, but thats up to you. All this should all be addressed in your service manual that came with the ac unit as to how it should be installed, or you can google it.

Additionally, I see you're from central NJ, keep in mind the outside temperature and humdity levels come into play this time of year as well. Ac's may not function correctly because of this. Check out your owners manual or google your ac model for that info. Just a suggestion, before you try fixing it or buying a new one, do a little more research on it first, there may be nothing wrong with it at all. Just a thought.

Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice for you. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 12-20-2013 at 06:26 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #9

Thanks, I will further investigate it, by looking it up online. At this point, I may just leave it out of the wall, and close up the hole in the wall. However, it would take some doing, because the siding was done around the original one that was in there, and it may just be easier to buy that slide out box like you mentioned that it sits in.
First, I need to see if I can get the fan moving. Maybe it rusted, becasue there is venting on the top of the unit, and what would have stopped water from going in there, and possibly rusting the fan?

Next step, see if I can get the fan moving, after it's had a chance to dry out.

Ttd0715

Advertisement