Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Share |

A/C runs almost constantly and never gets to set Temp

Our a/c runs almost constantly but never get the house to the set temperature except at night.

tyhorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #2

Ok, has the unit ever worked right?
Have you checked the filters?
Have you check the outside unit to see if it's frozen up?
Is the blower running?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Ok, has the unit ever worked right?
Have you checked the filters?
Have you check the outside unit to see if it's frozen up?
Is the blower running?
We just bought the house so I don't know how it used to worked. The unit is about 7 years old.
We just changed all the filters.
The outside unit is running good.
The blower is running, but we put filtrete filters in, could they resist flow more than other filters? The reason I ask is because the center of the filter is bowed in when the blower is on.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #4

A simple test is to just remove the filters and see if that helps.

How well a system works depends a lot of differant factors.

Old leaking windows and doors, venting in the attic, amount of insulation in the walls and attic, leaking ducts, dirty coil in the air exchanger all can effect performance.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #5

The House is 7 years old, and it's windows are double pane windows so I don't think thats the problem, but I'll try the filter thing.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #6

remove the filter and go bak where the return grill is should hold up a newspaper sheet size of paper easy....grab the black insualted line at the fiurnace is it ice cold during a run..and then the thin exposed copper there also grab it is it hot real hot during the heat of the day.might want to shut the condenser OFF,and from the inside out hose the coil lightly don't blast the fins so they bend..might have to remove the top with the condenser motor just slide it over(fan motor wires will limit it) as you go around...garbage can along side of the condensr will support the top as it teaters..cover the compressor with a plastic garbage bag to be safe..if the thin copper line is super hot during the day the condeser is dirty if the suction isn't like a can of beer out of a cooler charge might need adjusting....but do the condenser and get back on that return air grill paper test....that is cools at night is a flag effecting the condenser pressures which to you is actual temps out of the registers..and how long it runs to make setpoint
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM   #7

I took the filter out and the air flow didn't increase at all. The condenser unit is a three ton unit the house is 1800 sq feet is that the proper size unit?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
remove the filter and go bak where the return grill is should hold up a newspaper sheet size of paper easy....grab the black insualted line at the fiurnace is it ice cold during a run..and then the thin exposed copper there also grab it is it hot real hot during the heat of the day.might want to shut the condenser OFF,and from the inside out hose the coil lightly don't blast the fins so they bend..might have to remove the top with the condenser motor just slide it over(fan motor wires will limit it) as you go around...garbage can along side of the condensr will support the top as it teaters..cover the compressor with a plastic garbage bag to be safe..if the thin copper line is super hot during the day the condeser is dirty if the suction isn't like a can of beer out of a cooler charge might need adjusting....but do the condenser and get back on that return air grill paper test....that is cools at night is a flag effecting the condenser pressures which to you is actual temps out of the registers..and how long it runs to make setpoint
The newspaper held fine. The black line was cool on the outside of the insulation, I couldn't touch the copper tube under the insulation. The little copper return felt warm but not really hot.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

was that pipe touching done in the heat of the day? if so thin copper line (liquid line) seems good if it was 85F range outside...insulated could be colder..any chance doing a temp reading at the filter or return grill and near as possible to the air handler on that supply..lookin' for 18F..another to read is outside air into the condenser and what temp is blowing in your face...10F on a unit with a good charge...eye ball the fins on that squirrel cage in the air handler...making sure they are clean and free of dirt...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
was that pipe touching done in the heat of the day? if so thin copper line (liquid line) seems good if it was 85F range outside...insulated could be colder..any chance doing a temp reading at the filter or return grill and near as possible to the air handler on that supply..lookin' for 18F..another to read is outside air into the condenser and what temp is blowing in your face...10F on a unit with a good charge...eye ball the fins on that squirrel cage in the air handler...making sure they are clean and free of dirt...
It was done at about 1 pm, the condenser looks like it might have some blockage on the fins, I'm not at home right now so I'll have to check temps later.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #11

Cold air output is 60 degrees, hot return is 72 degrees, room temp is 76 degrees, condenser fins are 97 degrees, condenser fan output 97 degrees, outside ambient temp is 91degrees, liquid line at air handler is 86 degrees, I couldn't read the other line because it's wrapped in insulation.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

The liquid line being colder then the outdoor temp is a problem. Could be you have a restriction in your system, possibly the filter drier.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhorstman View Post
Cold air output is 60 degrees, hot return is 72 degrees, room temp is 76 degrees, condenser fins are 97 degrees, condenser fan output 97 degrees, outside ambient temp is 91degrees, liquid line at air handler is 86 degrees, I couldn't read the other line because it's wrapped in insulation.
Have your refrigerant level checked.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #14

Maybe there's nothing wrong with your system. What temp are you setting the AC??

My upstairs is about 1600 sq feet with a 3 ton system. I have no trees for shade and on hot days (90 +) I would be hard pressed to get the upstairs in the low 70's.

The fact is builders usually install the bare minimum for AC.

One thing that I did that absolutely helped was getting rid of the restrictive filters and installing the cheap fiberglass ones. Lot more air flow.
moodyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Have your refrigerant level checked.
Sounds like that might be it. 60degs out of the vents is good but not that cold. Outside is 91 deg F. What is the humidity? If it is high the actual temp could be closer to 100.

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote