Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #1

Share |

A/C running but not blowing cold air

Ok so here's the deal, There was a a thunderstorm last night and i wake up this morning and no a/c. It turns on and the fan blows but it only blows room temp. air. It's one of those wall mounted room A/C's. A brand nobody will know called edjitsu.

Anyways so on the outside part the fan spins, the compressor gets pretty hot but i don't really hear humming. i dont really know how to test the capacitor because my multimeter doesnt have a setting to test the cap. However i used a regular voltage tester and on both terminals on the cap there is voltage. Does that mean its working or does that mean its shorted? Not quite sure.

So what does that mean? Is my compressor bad? Is my capacitor bad? or did the storm somehow cause the freon to leak out?

A few notes: There is acually two parts to the compressor, a big one and a small one, I guess one's the compressor and the small one's the expansion valve but they're both pretty hot. the compressor is a mitsubishi brand. the capacitor has two terminals, two wires go to one from live and from the compressor and one comes out and goes to the compressor. when i turn the a/c on after about 40 seconds i hear the compressor hum for about 5 seconds and then goes off.

Thank you guys in advance for any advice you've got.

Last edited by Gunbrown; 08-26-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Gunbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

A bad cap will have voltage on both terminals, and so will a good cap. Get another one and install it and see if your compressor works then, they are cheap parts.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
Gunbrown (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #3

Ok so i decided to do some more checks on it. there's pretty much no temperature changes on any of the pipes going to or from the compressor but as i said the compressor itself gets very hot after a short while. every couple of minutes the compressor hums and then stops after about 5 seconds. so I'm basically guessing that the compressor's gone bad. Comments anyone? and about how much does a compressor and replacement job cost?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #4

like beenthere said, replace the capacitor first, it's a cheap part (under $30). or, go purchase a multimeter with capacitance (also around $30) and test it against the tag on the cap.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NitroNate For This Useful Post:
Gunbrown (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

If its just a capacitor, and you continue to leave it turned on that it continues to hum and get hot. You will kill the compressor. And it will cost a lot to replace the compressor. In the 4 digits to the lft of the decimal point price range.
Gunbrown (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
A bad cap will have voltage on both terminals, and so will a good cap. Get another one and install it and see if your compressor works then, they are cheap parts.
Hey thanks, so i racked my brain a bit and figured that if i use the ohmeter on my multimeter i'd be able to see wether it was charging and discharging using my ammeter. if my common sense is right this should work no? anyways tried it and guess what not charging therefore couldn't test if it was discharging. so my question now is, with a bad capacitor would the compressor still run and get hot like that?
Old 08-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

With an open cap, the compressor won't run, but will get hot. The cap may have been weak for a while.
Gunbrown (08-26-2011)
Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
With an open cap, the compressor won't run, but will get hot. The cap may have been weak for a while.
Hey thanks alot I think you've solved my problem , so i'l try and get a capacitor, i guess the lightning must have caused a power surge and damaged the capacitor last night. I live in kingston Jamaica and its pretty smoldering here so i gotta get this fixed and technicians here are all crooks. hopefully i can get one tomorrow. thanks again.