Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

Share |
Question

A/C rough-in

I am currently finishing my basement with a drywall ceiling. I may want to install a central a/c unit in the future and was just wondering if there was anything I could do now, before my ceiling is finished, that would save me some hassle in the future? I was thinking about running some wire, etc but am totally ignorant when it comes to a/c and hvac and I don't even know where the a/c unit would even go - for example would the a/c unit go on the furnace side of the house or electrical panel side of the house (in my house they are on opposite sides of the basement)

If I do decide to get an a/c unit in the future I will be getting it professionally installed but don't want to have to do a bunch of demo to my ceiling if I can avoid it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
J_Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

A/C rough-in

Generally on the furnace side. unless the garage is in the way.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

A/C rough-in

get ductwork sizing and layout checked to make sure it has capacity for AC and have mods done if necessary. May just require larger main plenum/duct.

Possibly run electrical from panel over to furnace area for future AC.

Check Thermostat wiring to see if compatible with Heat and AC OR possible Heat Pump application . Much easier to do before dry walling.

Hard wiring for future home theater, kitchen areas.

There are some nice drop ceiling panels available these days. Maybe consider that instead so you can have access.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #4

A/C rough-in

Thanks for the replies. What gauge of wire would you suggest using? I have a bunch of 10 gauge left over from my basement reno but I am not sure if that is correct for an air conditioner.
J_Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #5

A/C rough-in

depends on the new AC equipment. You would have to have it sized first...Tons etc. OR if Heat ump could be very different. Best to find out size and mfg's data then post to "electrical" forum. Also check electrical service and panel to make sure they have capacity for new AC.

I have seen some posts where they have quoted 6t0 AMPS draw but don't recall wire size. Could also depend on length of run.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #6

A/C rough-in

If you have any ductwork that will be enclosed, make sure its sealed and insulated. It could cause condensation problems when AC is added to your furnace.
Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote