Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |

A/C Replacement

I am doing research to eventually replace my 30year old two ton central air unit so I won’t be caught having to make haste and therefore poor decisions. My existing A/C unit has been very reliable and does an excellent job of maintaining comfort in my home at what I consider at a very reasonable cost. It has very simple easy to trace wiring and other electric components. The units I have investigated so far seem to be overly complex with circuit boards doing all kinds of fancy controlling making the units harder to diagnose problems, less reliable, and expensive to repair. I have read of all kinds of problems with these newer units, i.e., coil leaks, compressor failures, circuit board problems, poor customer service, etc. It appears to me that all of the newer units on the market today have reliability problems. They won’t even come close to my old A/C reliability and replacement life. I plan to run this unit until I have a major failure. At the present I am thinking that when the time comes, I will go with a basic builder’s model of a major manufacturer with the expectations of having to replace it in a lot shorter time than the life of my old unit. Any suggestions?

Texasdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

A/C Replacement

they don't make anything to last 30 yrs because no one will pay the premium price for that quality. Moms old Maytag dryer at 30 yrs old keeps chugging along but the new stuff ain't the same. we can make a unit last 30 yrs with Mercedes quality components but the el cheapo builders and housing boom caused a HUGE demand for cheap builders grade units and the quality dropped because of that. Most major manufacturers have 3 tiers of quality. especially Lennox , Carrier, Trane so if you buy the mid range like a Lennox XC14 it is high quality w/o all the expensive controls of the premium XC17 or 21. However a higher SEER unit will save you lots of $$ in your climate. the premium units have LOTS of extra controls ability to provide more comfort and better dehumidification.

Old 08-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #3

A/C Replacement

I put off replcing my system for too long for similar reasons. In the last 6 years my neighbor has had the service guy out 4 times for his (now) 8 year old unit. Two circuit boards. While my 16+ year old, non electronic stuff just kept going. When the old Carrier AC died a few weeks ago, I faced the fact that I had to make a choice or two. I will soon have a new heat pump installed and the old furnace will become an air handler...... if the guy ever gets out here to do it the job.
JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #4
REP

A/C Replacement

Concentrate on finding the best contractor you can find,then go with his brand.Its really as simple as that.
Going a basic 13 seer unit might eliminate one or two things but if you have the best contractor his work shold last longer then the cheapest bidder.
I would suggest that you look into a 10 year parts and LABOR policy.If it lasts for ten years without too much trouble then it should last 20 years in the same fashion.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote