Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

A/C Pop, Fizzle, Blowing Circuit

Hey Guys,

Came home to a hot house today. The blower unit is working fine. The compressor outside is not on, however. Checked the circuit breaker and the circuit is tripped. Reset it and turn the A/C on with the door open so I can hear the compressor kick on. I heard a pop, fizizle, and then the circuit tripped again. Walked out to the the compressor the unit is hissing and a electrical burning smell filled the air.

What do you think?

Capicitor? compressor? It is a Carrier unit, 9 years old. Never had problems with it before.

It's dark and raining so I couldnt see anything with my light. I'll have to check it tomorrow during the day.

ErikU19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

BE VERY careful you DO NOT touch the outdoor unit with the power on. If the compressor has a short in it it will go to ground and if you touch it YOU become the ground and can get electrocuted. The compressor may be damaged by a power surge and the hissing is freon leaking out the fusible plug where the wires enter it. NOT a job for a DIYer if you don't have experience working on high voltage electrical equipment. The burning smell is burnt wires so you have a SERIOUS problem.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I will leave the circuit off and wait for a professional.

On a different note what brand/seer unit should i replace this with if it is indeed bad?

This is a 4300sq ft 2 story house in Houston. Two zones. This is the lower zone/larger tonage unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
BE VERY careful you DO NOT touch the outdoor unit with the power on. If the compressor has a short in it it will go to ground and if you touch it YOU become the ground and can get electrocuted. The compressor may be damaged by a power surge and the hissing is freon leaking out the fusible plug where the wires enter it. NOT a job for a DIYer if you don't have experience working on high voltage electrical equipment. The burning smell is burnt wires so you have a SERIOUS problem.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

You rang?

Seer rating for optimal SYSTEM performance would mean changing out the evaporator coil as well. They've gotten bigger to accomodate efficieny of the smaller compressors in the same size condensing units.

You can go 13 or 14 SEER condenser, if let's say your 9 year old one is a 9 or 10 SEER, and install a txv in the evaporator (if you currently have a fixed orifice) to get you by for another, well, until your evaporator coil springs a leak.

Now if you want to upgrade the refrigerant as well to R410-A then a new evaporator is strongly recommend but not mandaotory as on a lot of older evaporators they've made them compatible, but txv would be mandatory.

I'm not certain of the rules of offering our own services on this site but if I can not offer my own company then I can certainly steer you towards some good ones. Hopefully a moderator will chime in and let me know the rules.

Doc Holliday,

Houston, Texas

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 11-08-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #5

If it is the compressor the part should still be covered under the 10 year warranty. Labor,refrigerant and filer driers will not be though so it won't be cheap. Still way less then buying a whole new system though.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

I believe the entry level units have 5 yr warranties on compressors, not to disappoint our poster. Depends if it is the builders grade or higher to know for sure. If it has burnt out then it needs a expensive flushing and cleanout procedure too.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

OP, post the make, model and serial number of the condensing unit and I'll find out if it's under warranty for you, tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #8

Will Do. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
OP, post the make, model and serial number of the condensing unit and I'll find out if it's under warranty for you, tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #9

This just keeps getting better. Any chance it took out my plasma tv and refrigerator through some invisible line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I believe the entry level units have 5 yr warranties on compressors, not to disappoint our poster. Depends if it is the builders grade or higher to know for sure. If it has burnt out then it needs a expensive flushing and cleanout procedure too.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
This just keeps getting better. Any chance it took out my plasma tv and refrigerator through some invisible line?

Generally that would only happen if you have a bad electrical connection in your panel box at the main neutral connection. In which case, you should have moe appliances that are now burnt out.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:52 AM   #11

BRAND: CARRIER
Serial #: 3702E06381
MODEL: 38BRC048350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
OP, post the make, model and serial number
of the condensing unit and I'll find out if it's under warranty for you, tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

What coincidence, I'mm sitting out front of Carrier waiting for them to open at this very moment. Guy, I'll be able to tell the warranty for you and that'll be all I can do for you.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not under warranty. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #14

Thanks Doc.

Do you do service in the Houston area? If so please send me a PM
Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

If you had a power surge check your homeowners ins. Not sure if it covers it. Also check with your neighbors to see if they got damaged. We had an incident where the elec utility damaged some wires in a back lane and damaged a whole row of houses. Had to fight for compensation but apparently they paid for the repairs.