Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:35 PM   #1

Share |

A/C not working, condensation on pipe

I have a York Diamond 80 natural gas furnace (model #: P4HUA12N06401A) setup in the basement and controlled by a Honeywell thermostat (model#: T8112D1005) on the main floor. The furnace is hooked up to the fan unit on the outside of the house. These are probably 8 years old or so when this house was built.
My A/C stopped working last night. There's no air blowing, so here's what I found:

1. Outside Fan Unit: I don't see the fan turning outside and no water being periodically discharged, like it used to earlier

2. Inside Furnace: When I power on the furnace and then turn on the A/C via thermostat to start the cooling, I hear some "puttering sound" in the pipes like water is being tossed... That is all I hear - there's no sound of the furnace starting up (the outside fan doesn't start). Pretty soon the copper pipe covered with foam insulation has condensation and ice over it (where visible).
I have replaced the air filter with a new one (it was 6 months old, but not totally clogged).

Are there any pointers you gurus out there could give me on what to look for?
Is the freon level low - how can I check?
Is the drainage pipe clogged - if so, how do I check and clean that?
Is the pilot light or equivalent off - how do I turn it back on?

Anything else that I can check for you?

I have included pictures so it is ready reference and easy for me to understand what you suggest. The last 2 pictures have red arrows where the condensation happens on the pipe. The foam insulation is torn in a few places and that is where the ice is visible, after some time.

Many thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
A/C not working, condensation on pipe-1.jpg   A/C not working, condensation on pipe-img_4440.jpg   A/C not working, condensation on pipe-img_4441.jpg   A/C not working, condensation on pipe-img_4442.jpg   A/C not working, condensation on pipe-img_4443.jpg  

A/C not working, condensation on pipe-img_4445.jpg  

Last edited by RightKid; 09-01-2010 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clarity
RightKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #2

So I turned off everything yesterday. and I tried to turn on one by one.
- On the thermostat, the System is Off and I changed the Fan to On from Auto. There's no change, the fan doesn't turn on. Is it supposed to work like that?
- On the thermostat, turned System to Cold and set temp to 79 degrees, and Fan to On. When nothing happened, changed Fan to Auto. Still nothing
- With both the above, there's now nothing happening near the furnace. It's just dead silent. No "puttering sound" or condensation on the pipes.

I would really appreciate your advice on what to do next, if not I'll hire someone to take a look. I just want to understand what could be wrong and hopefully relate to whatever the repairman tells me, so I'm not taken for a ride!
Thank you

Old 09-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Check your fan motor, is it getting 120 volts?
Is the motor's run capacitor good, replace it to see if its good or bad, if you have 120 volts going to the motor.

Could have a bad control board in the furnace.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #4

Frost on the pipe is from not enough refrigerant or not enough air going through the indoor coil. Since your furnace fan doesn't work it's the later. Need to check if the motor is getting high voltage or not to determine if it's the motor or blower control at fault.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #5

and your filter is in backwards
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #6

Thank you for your responses. looks like the blower motor is out. When I turn the thermostat Fan to On from AUto, it doesn't do anything. My filter is fine, I just changed it as well (in the correct direction). However, is there any way i can confirm if it's definitely the blower motor? Would you know where I can get a replacement - would I have to go to York or can I get a generic from anywhere?
thanks guys.