A/C Not Cooling - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

A/C not cooling

One of the hottest days of the year, 94 with heat index at 106. Around 6 this evening I noticed it was warmer than normal, and warm air was blowing from the vents. The thermostat is set at 75, but it was reading 79 in the house, the unit has always kept up in the past. I have a HEIL 5000 compressor unit, which is about 10 years old, and a Rheem Criteron II furnace of unknown age. I checked the compressor and it didn't sound like it was running, but its fan was. I turned the system off then back on, and am now getting cold air.

What should I start looking for, or check, to see what is going on? Thanks

Advertisement

daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 804

A/C not cooling

Sounds like you should look for an a/c tech.

Advertisement

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

A/C not cooling

is the condenser in the direct sun might of tripped and locked out within the condenser....is there a solid state board in the condenser with a led on it...always reset the breaker which resets the 24v circuits..with the stat off fan and system..then rework the stat..might want to hose out the condenser from the inside out...get in the habit of grabbing that thin raw copper line just out of the condenser when it is running.. it should be warm on a 80F day but never hot if so the coils might be dirty. when the condenser fan is blowing that heat into your face it is being taken out of the Freon and the changes it to liquid going into your air handler...if the coils are dirty or restricted the heat will trip on the liquid line instead.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
daveplot (07-18-2013)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

A/C not cooling

yep. When a compressor shuts down but the fan keeps running means the compressor is overheating. Unless you have the tools to check it's not really a DIY deal.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

A/C not cooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
is the condenser in the direct sun might of tripped and locked out within the condenser....is there a solid state board in the condenser with a led on it...always reset the breaker which resets the 24v circuits..with the stat off fan and system..then rework the stat..might want to hose out the condenser from the inside out...get in the habit of grabbing that thin raw copper line just out of the condenser when it is running.. it should be warm on a 80F day but never hot if so the coils might be dirty. when the condenser fan is blowing that heat into your face it is being taken out of the Freon and the changes it to liquid going into your air handler...if the coils are dirty or restricted the heat will trip on the liquid line instead.
The condenser was in direct afternoon sunlight. I'll hose it out this weekend, it's been a couple years since I've done it.
daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

A/C not cooling

Welcome to Summer daveplot. Regardless if the Condenser is in direct afternoon sunlight, like mine is, it is not going to cause your indoor temp to raise that high. You need a tech, not a garden hose.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,662

A/C not cooling

Possible run capacitor failure.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote