Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 AM   #1

Share |

A/C not blowing cold air...

My A/C does not seem to be blowing cold air. It's not hot or even warm just not cold. I had it serviced about 8 months ago by someone that knew someone that knew someone and it seemed to be working just fine. Some thing I have noticed and things I have tried:

Nothing was draining from pipe that exits the house by the unit outside. By suggestion i found on this site, i hooked up the shop vac and it sucked out a good amount of water and what looked like mud. I left vac on until no more came out. Still does not drain.

With the A/C on, the air blowing out of my unit outside is cooler that what is blowing out of my vents inside?

Any ideas, what could be wrong here???

rnorred13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #2

sounds like its low on freon.

HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:13 AM   #3
oops, did I do that!

Sounds like you cleaned out the condensate piping. If the unit is not producing cold air, you wont have any condensate coming out.

Check the filter, look on the larger pipe coming out of the indoor unit. Is there frost on it? If you have pets, the evaporator may be restricted. Does the outdoor unit run? Have you noticed a lack of airflow? Is the outdoor unit clean? (finned area) Do you hear a hummm then click, when the O.D. unit starts?

You MAY need refrigerant, but normaly thats the LAST thing to do, after everything else has been checked.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 05-17-2008 at 06:20 AM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #4

thx 8 ball, I just replaced the filter a few days ago. I'm not sure I see a 'Larger' pipe on the inside unit. There is one but it's about the same size as the one that goes outside. In fact I think it is the one that goes outside. It is raised about 4 inches with no cap. I would think for overflow? It get cold but no frost. How can I check to see if the evaporator is restricted? Sorry, but Im a noob to this and I'm going to ask a dumb question. What is the evaporator and what would it look like?
The outdoor unit does click on and off when adjusting the thermostat and it is clean as well.
Another thing I noticed is that I dont think air is blowing out of my vents as hard as it should be. I guess when these things work you dont pay that much attention so I couldnt tell you hard hard it was blowing last year. Is it possible I have some duct problems up in the scarry attic?
rnorred13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:44 AM   #5
oops, did I do that!

An evaporator is the indoor part of your A.C. unit. It normaly sits on top of the furnace, or in the air handler, (blower cabinet). Looks like a radiator on your car, or very similar to the finned area of the outdoor (condensor) unit. If you remove the filter, you may be able to see it. If not, follow the two copper pipes from the outdoor unit and see where they enter the cabinet. One pipe will be small, 3/8 or 1/2 in., the other will be larger, 3/4 or larger, the larger pipe will be insulated, they both should run close to one another. There will also be a condensate pipe, or drain pipe, close to the bottom of the unit, which should also be insulated.

Can you hear the compressor run in the outdoor unit? If it is running, the indoor coil is clean and the blower is running, you may need to add refrigerant. You must be licensed to handle refrigerant. Some units have low pressure safeties that stop the compressor if the charge is low, the compressor may start, but stop after a few minutes, leaving the outdoor fan running.

Attics are better than crawl spaces, its all a matter of perspective.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
An evaporator is the indoor part of your A.C. unit. It normaly sits on top of the furnace, or in the air handler, (blower cabinet). Looks like a radiator on your car, or very similar to the finned area of the outdoor (condensor) unit. If you remove the filter, you may be able to see it. If not, follow the two copper pipes from the outdoor unit and see where they enter the cabinet. One pipe will be small, 3/8 or 1/2 in......this small line freezes up, i can visibly see frost on this line, i tried turning off my unit to thaw out and circulate some air through my york blower. I enclosed a picture.

the other will be larger, 3/4 or larger, the larger pipe will be insulated, they both should run close to one another. There will also be a condensate pipe, or drain pipe, close to the bottom of the unit, which should also be insulated.

Can you hear the compressor run in the outdoor unit? If it is running, the indoor coil is clean and the blower is running, you may need to add refrigerant. You must be licensed to handle refrigerant. Some units have low pressure safeties that stop the compressor if the charge is low, the compressor may start, but stop after a few minutes, leaving the outdoor fan running.

Attics are better than crawl spaces, its all a matter of perspective.
I apologize i don't mean to high jack this thread. but i tried searching for an answer and think this thread is similar to what I'm experiencing. btw i new to this site and i am a noob when it comes to A/C units. All i know it was working fine a couple of weeks ago when it was in the upper 70's up here in the NE. Tomorrow its going to be in the mid 80's and already my condo is registering 79 degrees.
Thanks in advance
02excursion
Attached Thumbnails
A/C not blowing cold air...-ac-unit.jpg  
02excursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #7

You said the temp at the outdoor unit is cooler than the air coming out of the registers... Any chance you have a heat pump operating on heating mode?
Talbot3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot3 View Post
You said the temp at the outdoor unit is cooler than the air coming out of the registers... Any chance you have a heat pump operating on heating mode?
I'm pretty certain i don't have the heat pump operating on heat mode. i can visibly see the frost accumulating on the smaller line. the a/c unit does the clicking noise and the fan spins when i turn on the thermostat to a colder degree setting than what the temp is inside my condo ( example condo temp reading 79 degrees set point on thermostat 72 degrees) i also hear the blower motor spinning inside my laundry room click and start up. Hopefully i touched all the base's for someone to chime in?
btw ....now im having a issues with my water heater......i will post this issue on the plumbing forum.

Thanks
02excursion
02excursion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 AM   #9

Any ideas, what could be wrong here??? call your cooling expert to verify this unit working on reveres cycle if its heat pump, otherwise you have problem in the refrigeration system.
airtrackinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:03 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtrackinc View Post
Any ideas, what could be wrong here??? call your cooling expert to verify this unit working on reveres cycle if its heat pump, otherwise you have problem in the refrigeration system.
Hopefully in 3 years, he has taken are of this.

ben's plumbing (04-03-2014)