A/C I Smell My Neighbor's Smoke When I Turn On My A/C - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A/C I smell my neighbor's smoke when I turn on my A/C

I live on an apartment building and my A/C unit is on the ceiling by the hallway. My neighbors smoke and I can smell it like if it was in my house, same thing when they cook. I am not sure if the firewall where the AC is cracked and the smell comes from there or if it is coming from their AC to my AC. Any help or ideas will help.

Thank you.

***I am the owner of this condo, I bought it without knowing about this issue. Would the home owners association be responsible for it?***

Advertisement

Last edited by marite696; 05-31-2011 at 07:45 AM.
marite696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,572

Call your landlord and let them know. You don't want to be messing around with it if you rent. Probably not sealed right between apartments.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I agree with beenthere have the landlord check it.
Artco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 824

If the landlord blows you off call the rentalsman or housing authority or fire dept as a last resort. Fire separation is a HUGE safety concern and they take it seriously.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by marite696 View Post
I live on an apartment building and my A/C unit is on the ceiling by the hallway. My neighbors smoke and I can smell it like if it was in my house, same thing when they cook. I am not sure if the firewall where the AC is cracked and the smell comes from there or if it is coming from their AC to my AC. Any help or ideas will help.

Thank you.

***I am the owner of this condo, I bought it without knowing about this issue. Would the home owners association be responsible for it?***
sound's like the key here is I bought it without knowing about this issue. Look's like you will have to fix it. I don't belive the home owners association is responsible . Sound's like the AC unit is located in the wrong place. In the hall way it will pick up what goes down the hall way. This mite be a big problum .You may have to relocate the AC ??? May not be able to do it ?? good luck I don't smoke and i know i would be upset
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

Any gaps, or even the smallest crack in a unit will cause orders to migrate. It is about Positive & negative airflow in how to keep this from happening. You may want to look at a filter that helps to filter those particulates out of the air when the unit is running, also seal any cracks under your front door with a door sweep, or door sock. Basically when your unit is running, it is pulling the air from the hall. Bad thing about apartments & condos, is most were designed before air quality was placed into the thought. Especially those buildings that are over fifty years or older.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote