Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #1

Share |

A/C ???? in Houston

I have a house in houston and was looking at the a/c unit inside the other day. It is located pretty much central area of my house and when i open the door to get to the unit i notice that the little room it is sitting in opens up all the way up into the attic. I really have no idea if that is suppose to be like that.

I know the ducts have to go up thru the attic to get to all the other rooms in my home but seems to me that all that attic heat would be making my A/c unit work even that much more.

My thermostat is located on that same wall that the unit is in which is open to the attic heat.

Any help on this would be great. I am not sure if it should be completely closed off or what.

ArmyStrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #2

A/C ???? in Houston

Is your attic conditioned space? (Is the insulation in the rafters with no attic venting or is it in the ceiling joists with attic vents?) Are the walls to the A/C closet insulated?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:00 PM   #3
oops, did I do that!

A/C ???? in Houston

If for no other reason, I would think that it should be closed off for fire safety. There should be two separate ducts going to the air handler, and if indeed there are, close it up and instal a smoke detector. If you can, and its open on the inside stud pocket, insulate at least where the thermostat is located

Last edited by 8 Ball; 08-14-2008 at 06:03 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #4

A/C ???? in Houston

Insulation is in the ceiling joist with attic vents.

The closet space that the furnace, a/c unit is at is actually insulated now that i look at it once i got home.

However it is open up to the top and into the attic. Not sure if that is open cause of the unit being the furnace also.

Really new to the a/c upkeep so any info from here is great.

house is 1486 sq feet and has 2 attic vent ( the whirly bird types) on each end of the attic.

I was up checking my ducts also and found alot of small leaks that i am pretty sure shouldn't be there.

Energy bill running around 300-350 per month
Old 08-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #5
oops, did I do that!

A/C ???? in Houston

Where does the furnace vent go?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #6

A/C ???? in Houston

Looks like the furnace vent goes straight up thru the attic out the top of the roof.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #7

A/C ???? in Houston

So they designed the furnace closet as unconditioned space. I assume all your ductwork is insulated. Be carefull about sealing the furnace closet off with a ceiling if it relys on air from the attic for combustion.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #8

A/C ???? in Houston

I am going to take some pictures and put up on here and maybe that will assist and maybe show what it is that i have. once again i really know nothing about this just trying to do what i can to attempt to cut these utility bills down.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #9

A/C ???? in Houston

the flue goes straight though the roof but is there vents though the exterior wall to the outside . It seems possible to me that the space was opened to give fresh air to the furnace ( is it natural gas , lp ) needed for the combustion process. there are better ways to provide this air to the furnace obviously but eliminate this possibility before closing it up.
sorry didnt read the second to last post , I agree
geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:08 AM   #10

A/C ???? in Houston

Furnace is gas and i don't see any other vents going out the sides or anything. Everything goes straight up into the attic.

The duct work is in pretty bad shape also after a closer inspection of the joints and where it connects to the vents. How expensive would/difficult would it be to do this myself?

If i do replace the duct work is there a good place purchase the duct that anyone might know off the top of there head? I been looking around and mainly come up with places that do the work but not really finding people who just sell it. Was thinking home depot but there has to be someone cheaper then them.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 AM   #11

A/C ???? in Houston

if your ducts are metal you can duct seal , re-insulate and have them cleaned for a fraction of the price of replacing them. flex is eisier to replace and fiber board should be replaced with metal. most local company's buy full sheets and fabricate the ducts them selves I beleive a company that sells to the public is Metal-Fab

geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote