Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #1

Share |
Question

A/C, Furnace/Thermostat Connection Breakdown.

Can someone give me a down a dirty breakdown of how a A/C, furnace and thermostat connects? Ie. A/C fan and power connected to thermostat which turns on furnace fan.... ect.

I have a &%@#ed up installation and I want to have a general idea of what they did wrong. (bottom line, the furnace fan in my house controls the A/C, and the bath fan turns on the furnace fan which then turns on the A/C. )

Thanks

mfleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #2

R is 24V to any other it will run something(jump it to) with the stat off the subbase you have G,Y,W...R to G is FAN R to Y is CONDENSER outside and last R to W is heat.the selector at the stat FAN ON-AUTO in the ON position the fan runs all the time in the AUO it will cycle with the cooling setpoint.the fan can also run in the heating position but a normal cycle is that it is off till the furnace heats up and starts blowing warm air.

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #3
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfleming View Post
Can someone give me a down a dirty breakdown of how a A/C, furnace and thermostat connects? Ie. A/C fan and power connected to thermostat which turns on furnace fan.... ect.

I have a &%@#ed up installation and I want to have a general idea of what they did wrong. (bottom line, the furnace fan in my house controls the A/C, and the bath fan turns on the furnace fan which then turns on the A/C. )

Thanks

Are they using the furnace as makeup air when the bath fan is on? If so they probably just used "G" on the t-stat, the problem is that it will always back feed the AC unit, you just need a relay installed to isolate the "G" from backfeeding the AC unit, pretty simple actually.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote