Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #1

Share |

A/C fan motor help please

I had a repair guy try to charge me $800.00 for a fan motor, can't afford that. The capacitor was replaced last year. He said it also has to be replaced and it costs $300.00. My question is. Is the fan motor hard to replace? If not is it a simple wiring male and female connectors. I have a Ducane model number. 2ac13b42p-1a. Can anybody help me please. It OS getting hot here in Texas.

tombstone2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #2

capacitor and fan motor are simple and you should be able to get both for around $100, maybe a little more. i can't believe that guy was going to ding you that much for cheap, simple repairs. on the fan motor, you want to match specs as closely as possible to that of the existing motor. typically, RPMs, HP and amps are the most important. make sure you match the run portion of the capacitor to the fan motor, usually around 5 uF or so. here is a good link for that: http://www.indoorcomfortsupply.com/Air-Conditioning-Fan-Motors.html

NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

I just went thru this myself with guidance from this forum. I can tell you it was incredibly easy. I googled my condenser fan motor model # and bought from a supply company called Grainger. They were the lowest cost OEM motor around. I also bought a new capacitor. Just match the cap specs. A new oem motor was $120 and a new cap was $19, prices will be similar for most units I would think. You could save a little $$ buying a non-OEM motor but it might not be a simple swap.

FWIW, the tech I called to diagnose the issue was charging $275 for the motor, $60 for the cap and an hours install in labor ($90). I was swapping in the motor as he left and had it done in under 15 mins - it was plug and play. It was even his idea for me to swap it myself. A great guy.
wheelsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #4

check here for refernece http://bestbuyheatingandairconditioning.com/ then shop around over in Grainger there open on saturdays
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #5

It's ashame there's guys out there gouging people, gives the HVAC field a bad name. Don't let that guy near your property and put the word out on him. Good Mechanics can make enough money honestly.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #6

www.repairclinic.com
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
It's ashame there's guys out there gouging people, gives the HVAC field a bad name. Don't let that guy near your property and put the word out on him. Good Mechanics can make enough money honestly.
+1. Google that part number and you'll find the fan is about $120. The going rate for an uncomplicated fan motor repair is about $300-$400 from an honest repair company. I can't think why yours would be $800. But I would get a second opinion before buying parts if you don't really know what the problem is (is it the motor or the capacitor).

sktn77a is offline   Reply With Quote