A/C Condenser Fan Motor Wiring - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


I am replacing the condenser fan motor and the capacitor.

The old fan motor had 3 wires (black, brown and purple). The older capacitor had 3 terminals.

My new fan motor has 5 wires (black, red, yellow, brown and brown/white). The new capacitor has 2 terminals.

I know the black is power, but I am not sure where other wires get connected. I know on the old fan the purple and the brown wires were connected to the capacitor.

When I purchased the fan motor the clerk said it is a variable speed (low & high). It is a Mars model 20465. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

jcdtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Experienced HVAC Tech
 
HVAC1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 357
Rewards Points: 250
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdtrader
I am replacing the condenser fan motor and the capacitor.

The old fan motor had 3 wires (black, brown and purple). The older capacitor had 3 terminals.

My new fan motor has 5 wires (black, red, yellow, brown and brown/white). The new capacitor has 2 terminals.

I know the black is power, but I am not sure where other wires get connected. I know on the old fan the purple and the brown wires were connected to the capacitor.

When I purchased the fan motor the clerk said it is a variable speed (low & high). It is a Mars model 20465. Thanks in advance.
Yellow is your common for power. Black is actually your high speed. Red is low speed . The two browns go to the two terminals on new capacitor.

Advertisement

HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


Sound like this motor is for your evaporator fan not condenser.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
ryandeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech
 
HVAC1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 357
Rewards Points: 250
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandeen
Sound like this motor is for your evaporator fan not condenser.

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
No. It's a condenser fan motor based on model number. They are multi speed to make it more universal for service techs to only carry one or two motors. Not 5 or 6
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,630
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


yellow and red are the speed not variable... either or.go with HI check the motor tag need the exact cap that was the 3 terminals
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by HVAC1000

No. It's a condenser fan motor based on model number. They are multi speed to make it more universal for service techs to only carry one or two motors. Not 5 or 6
True true

Sent from my iPhone using DIY Forum
ryandeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
Experienced HVAC Tech
 
HVAC1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 357
Rewards Points: 250
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles
yellow and red are the speed not variable... either or.go with HI check the motor tag need the exact cap that was the 3 terminals
Mars uses yellow as common. Red and black are speeds not yellow. Go with black, it's high speed. This is all on the wiring schematic on the side of the motor. You don't need the cap with three terminals. The one labeled fan will just be abandoned. You can use the three terminal dual capacitor if you want but you dont have to plus its cheaper to go with your current set up

Last edited by HVAC1000; 06-27-2013 at 10:34 PM.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


I hooked everything up, checked to make sure thermostat was low enough to start, checked breakers and turned it on. Nothing happened. The contacter clicked and that was it. Can you take a look at my wiring and see if I have something wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
A/C condenser fan motor wiring-miscellaneous-pictures-1677.jpg  
jcdtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Experienced HVAC Tech
 
HVAC1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern Colorado
Posts: 357
Rewards Points: 250
Default

A/C condenser fan motor wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdtrader
I hooked everything up, checked to make sure thermostat was low enough to start, checked breakers and turned it on. Nothing happened. The contacter clicked and that was it. Can you take a look at my wiring and see if I have something wrong?
Only the brown wires should be on capacitor nothing else. It is all on the wiring diagram that came on the motor follow that as it is drawn.
Also did u realize that you were supposed to keep your dual capacitor for the compressor to start. That new two pronged capacitor is for just the fan and should be wired to nothing else.

Advertisement


Last edited by HVAC1000; 06-30-2013 at 05:55 PM.
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HVAC condenser not wired properly? LynnX HVAC 9 01-24-2014 09:40 PM
Wiring new A/C condenser gbishop20012001 HVAC 10 05-12-2013 09:59 PM
Any Issues: Old Condenser - New System? JulieMor HVAC 3 07-05-2012 08:57 PM
Carrier Condenser Unit Screwed? gimmes name HVAC 6 07-24-2011 08:05 AM
Goodman Fan Condenser Replacement Help bigjohnstud4200 HVAC 2 07-03-2010 02:54 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts