Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #1

Share |

a/c condenser copper stolen

question .....
can unit be pumped down,
new dryer installed,
purged with nitrogen,
another new dryer installed,
charged with R22 be expected to work?

the condenser has been open to the air for several months under high humidity conditions

way back in my past I've "reclaimed" numerous used units from demo jobs and used them quite successfully by performing the above list, even without the second dryer installation
BUT
both a/c techs I've contacted say it won't work and try to sell me a new unit.

as it HAS been over twenty years since I've done any freon work they could be correct, but I'm dubious...... what think the members of the fourm?

oldncrazy
oldncrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #2

It might work or it might not work? Pay once or pay twice. Oxidation has occured. You might try craigs list, i have purchased several over the last year. Make sure they where closed off properly.
semore 102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Flip of the quarter how long it last.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #4

If it is an r22 ac and not too old I'd do it. If it is a 410A unit then I also think it it is repairable but at a cost much higher then the r22 unit.

You can pull moisture much more easily out of r22 system and for less money.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

Go for it sounds like you got nothing to lose except time.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:23 PM   #6

unit is around 4ton (can't recall if it is 4 or 5 ton) Trane 2001 yr model and, indeed is r22 .... rent house in a slowly declining neighborhood ... ergo the stolen copper lines

I realize it has been exposed to the elements internally, but I really see no reason for the two techs to be reluctant to purge and pull into a vac

I think they both all too well understand that I will NOT purchase a new unit,

but

I am more than willing to pay for them to follow my wishes and have promised them what they do will have no come back on them should it fail to work

needless to say after nearly two decades I am highly limited on tools and ability to purchase "legally" r22 ..... but, I guess I can do it ...

seems as if I can recall making a vac unit using a auto compressor way long time ago .... worked pretty well for a time and I do know where my set of Robinaire gauges are

I'd rather pay to have it done, but, after all this is the DIY website .... lol

I was just wondering if there were any new fangled (in the past two decades) tricks or reasons NOT to have it done --- or do it myself
oldncrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:13 AM   #7

Keep looking you'll find a hungry young buck wanting to get his hands on your unit. Get one of the tech school guys or an apprentice somewhere that will be wiling to get it operational for you. I know back 40 years ago I would have jumped at the chance to do that job, especially if the owner said do your best I won't hold you responsible. OJT plus making a couple bucks, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote