Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

Share |

A/C Capacitor

I've got two a/c units that a tech inspected and told me I needed new capacitors and contactors. I can clearly see that the capacitors could use replacing but fail to see any reason to replace the contactors. My question is about replacing the capacitors. I've got the part number and information of the installed capacitors and they will cost $150 each. I've found capacitors that are rated the same and also dual run for $50. Can I use any capacitor as long as it is dual run and rated the same, or does it have to be the exact part that is currently installed?

Thanks,
Adam

surfer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:51 PM   #2

A/C Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer85
I've got two a/c units that a tech inspected and told me I needed new capacitors and contactors. I can clearly see that the capacitors could use replacing but fail to see any reason to replace the contactors. My question is about replacing the capacitors. I've got the part number and information of the installed capacitors and they will cost $150 each. I've found capacitors that are rated the same and also dual run for $50. Can I use any capacitor as long as it is dual run and rated the same, or does it have to be the exact part that is currently installed?

Thanks,
Adam
You can use a universal cap. It does need to be rated the same

Hixheat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #3

A/C Capacitor

i've never paid more than $25 for a capacitor. check e-bay, that'll give you an idea of universal brands/prices.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #4
REP

A/C Capacitor

One;you can't throw any old capcitor in there it must be rated exactly the same as the older one.
The price you were quoted sounds more like it includes a hard start kit which has a cap and a relay.
If you don't already have a duel cap there is probably a reason for it.
Run caps can be by any manufacturer but must be rated the same as old one.
If you aere replacing a hard start kit,stay away from the one size fits all cause they don't last and get the exact one from the company that made your unit.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
One;you can't throw any old capcitor in there it must be rated exactly the same as the older one.
The price you were quoted sounds more like it includes a hard start kit which has a cap and a relay.
If you don't already have a duel cap there is probably a reason for it.
Run caps can be by any manufacturer but must be rated the same as old one.
If you aere replacing a hard start kit,stay away from the one size fits all cause they don't last and get the exact one from the company that made your unit.

What planet you from, bud? Hard starts installed begin at $250.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

Hard starts come in a one size for 1-3 tons and 3.5 to 5 tons, I think. I have few brands on the truck, 5-2-1 three wire and some two wire brand without any stand alone relay which hooks only to any capacitor's, single or dual, herm and common.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
REP

A/C Capacitor

I agree thyat real hard start kits would go that much but those cheap 2in1 things that are sold in appliance stores are less than $50 and they call them hard start kits.
And just so you know I'm far from a bub,,,,I'm probably old enough to be your father and have been doing this stuff for 35+ years.
What you have to remember is that these questions are not comingt from other contractors,they are homeowners who are most likely dealing with the local appliance repair store or those idiots at Grangers.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

I said BUD, not bub, bub.

All start kits cost less then $50, 5-2-1 compressor savers and the two wires whatever they are. They are only a few dollars difference in them at the supply house. Granted I can't say what they'd cost at an appliance store.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

let me go outside with my camera...
Old 08-28-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

I need an extended cab truck for better storage but in the meantime..

The Mallory brand I removed yesterday, stuck hard start potential relay and burnt contactor on the unit.

Two wire with a stand alone relay.

This 5-2-1 has been in the bed of the truck for some months, all weathered and beaten to heck. A 1-3 ton.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
REP

A/C Capacitor

Haha I don't know what you are trying to show me.I wished that I had nice plastic bins like you have,it leaves the parts looking like new,all I had was cardboard boxes and sometimes the new parts looked old.
My point was however that neither you nor I know what someone wass trying to sell the homeowner for what price.
I think you can agree that we have to make something on the parts we use to service our customers,Hell even walmart makes something on their stuff.
I have been out of the field for about seven years now but when I first used the type of kits you show ,I had unacceptable failure rates so I decided a long time ago that Like with so many other things,if I used OEM parts I had more success and a LOT fewer call backs so I only used OEM hard start kits and except for maybew a bad part every so often over the course of years I had no problems.I just don't trust market place replacements,especially electronic parts.My experience says they don't hold up.I could have been inexpensive and used them but I decided the extra cost was worth paying to maintain my reputation and my sanity.
I honestly wish you success in your work and hope the decissions you make are always good ones.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #12
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by REP View Post
Haha I don't know what you are trying to show me.I wished that I had nice plastic bins like you have,it leaves the parts looking like new,all I had was cardboard boxes and sometimes the new parts looked old.
My point was however that neither you nor I know what someone wass trying to sell the homeowner for what price.
I think you can agree that we have to make something on the parts we use to service our customers,Hell even walmart makes something on their stuff.
I have been out of the field for about seven years now but when I first used the type of kits you show ,I had unacceptable failure rates so I decided a long time ago that Like with so many other things,if I used OEM parts I had more success and a LOT fewer call backs so I only used OEM hard start kits and except for maybew a bad part every so often over the course of years I had no problems.I just don't trust market place replacements,especially electronic parts.My experience says they don't hold up.I could have been inexpensive and used them but I decided the extra cost was worth paying to maintain my reputation and my sanity.
I honestly wish you success in your work and hope the decissions you make are always good ones.

Not sure why that two wire states that it's the only OEM tested and approved start kit, I've rarely ever seen them. The 5-2-1 is what you see a lot of and what I like to install, never had a single problem.

Yeah, storage is a big problem for parts in a single cab truck so I have to use those bins with lids. I just bought a van but it's not outfitted and I think my money will be better spent selling that thing (gas guzzler as well) and buying a four door truck with at least a 7' bed that I can put tool boxes all the way around, the two sides being for parts.

Thanks Rep.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

Oh, I wasn't trying to show you anything you don't all ready know REP, I was just bored and not doing anything spectacular so I took some pics.

I'm not one to try and think I know it all any longer, I learned the hard way via beenthere some humility way back when. I think it had to do with 500 square feet per one ton sizing. Yup, that was it.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

A/C Capacitor

Nice thing about a van, you can have shelves on both sides, and still have room to get in it to get to those items, or load equipment in it.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #15
I'm Your Huckleberry

A/C Capacitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Nice thing about a van, you can have shelves on both sides, and still have room to get in it to get to those items, or load equipment in it.
The only thing I've ever liked about vans is the shelving. Other than that they are loud on the inside as everything rattles and shakes and vibrates, vans have almost zero line of sight visibilty, the seats can't recline to comfortable position with a cage in it and they always tend to run dog legged, the rear of the van to one side.

Just too bulky overall for my liking. Say, you want to buy a van?