A/C Blower Moter Slow After Cleaning Finns - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2014, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A/C blower moter slow after cleaning finns

My ac was not blowing so I opened it up (its an all in one outside unit) while running and I could see the blower runnind fine however there was a block of ice . So i took the wifes hair drier to melt it and I could see the finns were very dirty so i turned the power off at the fuse and hosed it off trying to be carefull about what got wet. allot of dirt came off and now looks new (its only 3 years old).I wait 2 hours for it to dry then power it on only to see the blower motor is slow and almost intermittant. Please help my house is 82 degrees and rising.

Advertisement

9Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Greg View Post
My ac was not blowing so I opened it up (its an all in one outside unit) while running and I could see the blower runnind fine however there was a block of ice . So i took the wifes hair drier to melt it and I could see the finns were very dirty so i turned the power off at the fuse and hosed it off trying to be carefull about what got wet. allot of dirt came off and now looks new (its only 3 years old).I wait 2 hours for it to dry then power it on only to see the blower motor is slow and almost intermittant. Please help my house is 82 degrees and rising.
Check your fuses/breakers. Sounds like one power-leg may have blown out. One of the electricians here can give you the proper terminology.

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,712

May have a bad or weak run capacitor.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 117

I would vote for bad cap or a wire got knocked loose off of the top of it.
sidejobjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Check to make sure your disconnect is properly installed where you killed the power to clean. Could have caused a leg of power to not be making contact, blew a fuse, or one half of a breaker. ( I know, breakers are supposed to trip on both legs, but sometimes it won't, and sometimes people use two single pole breakers instead of a two pole like they should). Also make sure that you did not knock off a wire going to the fan motor that was hooked the contactor or the capacitor. Good luck.
surenuff is offline   Reply With Quote