Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

A/C Air Handler & Condenser Both Won't Turn On

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and hoping to find some help!

I was cutting the yard this evening and noticed that my dog had chewed through some of the wiring that connects the outdoor A/C condenser to the t-stat. I tested the system inside and the air handler would turn on but the condenser would not. While the system was running, i touched two of the light-gauge wires together and the condenser turned on just fine.

I then cut the power to the system at my breaker inside the house and repaired the wiring outside. I turned the breaker back on and now no components of the system will turn on. I've tried to reset the breakers and the light switching looking thing by the handler several time, all with the t-stat off. I don't see any other reset buttons that should be pushed but I could be missing something. I do hear the t-stat clicking on any off but the system would come on.

Any thoughts on what might be going on??

Thanks very much!

SHarr5184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Control board fuse blown? had a t-stat wire short and kept poping the 3A fuse every time the condenser tryed to run but then again when it poped the fuse the t-stat went blank/dead. Never found the actual short in the wire but changed out the old brittle wire with new stuff, worked fine since.

Exjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #3

I hadn't thought to check for a fuse there but, if there is one, that could well be it since I messed with the damaged wires while the system was on. Ill check that in the morning. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2013, 06:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

before repowering remove the stat off the subbase and verify 24Vs at the furnace.air handler TR...if the fuse blows right off..remove the 2 low vltage wires into the condenser could be the contactor coil or the run out from the air handler
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #5

I found a blown 3amp fuse on a control panel inside the air handler that was causing the issues. It replaced it last night and we're back up an running. Thanks for your help!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHarr5184 View Post
I found a blown 3amp fuse on a control panel inside the air handler that was causing the issues. It replaced it last night and we're back up an running. Thanks for your help!

Nice!

Exjay is offline   Reply With Quote