Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Buying HVAC Equipment

I am wanting to buy and DIY install a furnace and ac unit for my shop. Where can I buy the equipment?

EarthCreepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:44 PM   #2

Buying HVAC Equipment

From the time the CFC air quality codes have been passed it is not lawfull to sell a product with refrigerant in it to a party not cfc certified. You will have a hard time finding anyone to sell you a furnace and a/c

rabadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:12 PM   #3

Buying HVAC Equipment

The unaware and undereducated spread so much misdirection and misinformation.

"From the time the CFC air quality codes have been passed it is not lawfull to sell a product with refrigerant in it to a party not cfc certified. You will have a hard time finding anyone to sell you a furnace and a/c"

The truth is:
1. There are no CFC air quality codes. There are laws that prohibit certain actions pertaining to refrigerants - which includes CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs, and several other chemical compositions.
2. It is not lawful to sell refrigerant to uncertified persons, but it is obviously lawful to sell a product that contains a refrigerant; for example automobiles with air conditioning, dehumidifiers, and numerous other products.
3. It is lawful for anyone to buy or to sale air conditioning equipment to anyone even if the equipment contains a refrigerant.
4. Persons authorized to buy refrigerants:
a. anyone can buy the refrigerant (R134a) used in automotive air conditioners - get all you want at WalMart. I think this part of the law will change soon.
b. EPA CERTIFIED persons can buy other refrigerants.
5. Wholesalers who deal with HVAC contractors usually refuse to sell to non-contractors, or will charge a price that discourages the DIY.
If you are determined to proceed DIY, and accept that some service companies may not give you good response on your DIY system, and accept that the manufacturer may not give you full warranty, check out acdirect.com and others that will sell you the equipment. Never tell any service company that your system is DIY.

I am a DIY who is self-taught and learned to do everything about HVAC. I designed, bought all material, except the packaged unit. on the internet, and installed the whole system. Works fine!

I bought my packaged heat pump from a mobile home supplier. The supplier told me the unit was designed for and would only work right on a mobile home. The unaware and undereducated spread so much misdirection and misinformation.
rosehillraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 PM   #4
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Buying HVAC Equipment

There was a post recently re., a pilot that wanted to instal a unit in his garage, and the discussion may be worth reviewing.

Yes you can instal your own AC system. If you do look at that post, the gentleman posted a website that was really informative, affordable and helpful.

You will need some special tools, and some patience, a homeowners permit and a start up by a qualified HVAC tech.

Good Luck, and it was refreshing to read the previous post in response to your question, I am a big fan of the truth.

Lets keep in mind that this post is at least 3yrs old.

Last edited by 8 Ball; 08-01-2008 at 10:14 PM.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote