Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2008, 12:12 PM   #1

Share |

Burst Coil in Air Handler

Looking for some direction here..
I have a dualpurpose hot water heater that also heats our home. When I attempted to turn on the heat in the home, I noticed a leak and it turns out one of the coils burst open in the air handler of our Hi-Velocity unit. The coil unit apparently only has a 1 year warranty, meanwhile, my home is 2 yrs old. They're looking to charge me $650 for the coil from the sole distributor here in Canada.
Should I go ahead and just purchase the new coil? look for a replacement unit from a different manufacturer? or have a repairman try and repair the coil by welding it closed?
Help..

gruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 12:40 PM   #2

If your system is only 2 years old, I would recommend replacing it with the same coil. $650 seems like a reasonable price.

pearnakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

have a tech repair it and then figure out why it burst in the first place,no freeze control to trip and shut the fan and water off.did cold air bust it or just the water temp running thru it.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 04:58 AM   #4
oops, did I do that!

Most often, the labor to pull and repair the coil costs as much or more than simply replacing it.

As "Biggles" said, why did it break in the first place. Normaly a freeze stat is installed as a safety to protect the coil when outdoor air is being drawn into your system. If you have an ERV or HRV that would be the source of outdoor air. If this is the case, have the ERV or HRV tested for proper operation.

A freeze stat is a manual reset safety device that should do 3 things.

1.- Turn off the blower.
2.- Force the heating valve full open.
3.- Close the source of outdoor air.

You may want to instal one when the new coil is purchased to prevent this from happening again and protect your investment.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote