Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

Burnham V7 series oild-fired boiler is turning itself off

We are having the following 2 problems with our Burnham V7 series oil-fired boiler. I'd like to see if there's anything I can do before calling out a service technician, given that $ are tight. Both of these are new problems. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Boiler takes breaks as it heats
My boiler needs to get from 58 degrees to 68 degrees in the morning. It starts up at 5.00am. When it gets up a couple of degrees, say from 58 to 61, it takes a "break" for a few minutes and shuts down. Then it starts up again, say to 64 degrees, and then breaks again for a little while. This continues until it gets to 68 degrees. Is there a reason for these breaks?

Boiler turns off and has to be reset, which sometimes does not work
There have been a couple of instances recently where my boiler turns off by itself. Sometimes the red light is on when this happens, but sometimes it just shuts itself off and the red light doesn't come on. Either way, it's cold!

Sometimes pushing the reset button gets it going again. But sometimes this does NOT get it going. I have to turn off the machine completely and turn it back on for it to start heating again. Sometimes this works; sometimes it doesn't. It's all trial and error -- trying the reset button and trying the power.

There is a bit of liquid (oil?) on the floor this morning, when it took me 45 minutes of resetting and powering on/off to get it going. Is that cause for alarm? It was there before I began trying to get the boiler working again.

Also, there's a sign on the boiler that says, clearly, to only press the reset button once. Why? What happens when you use the reset button a number of times?

Pickngrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #2

I know this is a DIY site but stop what you are doing and call for service. If you were pushing the reset for 45 mins then you have loaded your chamber with oil and created a un safe problem. You should only push the reset once. If you keep hitting it and it lights it will be one hell of a fire in side chamber until it burns off. Call for service and tell them up front everything you told us. It may cost you a few dollars but it's cheaper then burning down you house.

bervin306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
Hvac Pro

ABSOLUTELY right. When it lights up you will have a runaway fire and will be calling the fire dept. The chamber will get red hot and keep reigniting the fire. Call a PRO ASAP. Spilled leaking oil is incredibly dangerous also. The Pro needs to find out where it is coming from.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

Ok, will do, thanks.

BTW, it was my wife who was at home with this problem and who hit the reset button repeatedly... ;-/
Old 01-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Please let her know, that homes have been burnt down because of pushing that reset button too many times.

It may or may not be spraying oil in each time the button is pressed.

Also. Some techs will not start up a boiler that has a flooded combustion chamber.
They dry it out, which can take some time, and of course, you pay for this time, and any material they use.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

It sounds like you have a few problems. Your motor may be bad considering you say you think its "oil" below the burner. This may be bearing oil from motor. Also the started and stoping may be related to your thermostat. you need to set the "heat anticipator" to the right setting.

Also please press reset only once. if the fuel does not ignite properly you are sending 45 seconds worth of atomized oil into your chamber. VERY DANGEROUS.

CALL SERVICE it is usually 100$ + parts for the call. Very worth it.
thelimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #7

The tech came today and replaced the nozzle. Thanks again for the wise advice.