Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Old Burnham Series 2

Share |
Question

Burnham Series 2 Cast Iron Radiator System

I have a Burnham Series 2 boiler with 5 cast iron radiators attached and one circulator for the whole system. It is a closed system. It has a B-38 PRV as the only way I can see to get water into the system from the street. (Same water pipe connected to water heater with a spichot valve in between.) The boiler is in the basement, 4 radiators are on the 1st floor, the 5th is on the second floor.

How do I fill this system up with water in this configuration? It is a early 1900s house with a late '89 early '90s boiler. I cannot tell if water is getting into the system through the PRV. Also the system has a single expansion tank mounted in the basement rafters above the boiler. It is an older tank and always empty. Never felt water in it, warm or cold.

Any suggestions or methods to get water into the system, the system bled and the expansion tank working would be greatly appreciated.

SybrSave
SybrDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #2

I'm trying to picture your setup. Is that an indirect water heater connected to there? If the pipe with the spigot is the water heater's heat exchanger pipe then you can fill it up there. Don't know how you would fill it up through the relief valve? I fill up my system through my series 2 out flow pipe, but I also have the luxury of having a spigot there...BTW, garden hose with a double female adapter on the male end connected to my laundry sink faucet...

If your pressure gauge works then just fill it up to the specified psi and the air will bleed out through the expansion tank. My gauge doesn't so I just keep adding water in short intervals until it stops audibly gurgling.

Last edited by Booron; 12-09-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Booron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Post pic of your set up.

Have you checked to see if the second floor rad is full of water.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote