Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Share |

Burnham oil fired boiler

My water coming out of faucets will not stay hot when heater is on. What could be the possible problem/problems?

opaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #2

Burnham oil fired boiler

We will need more information than this. You may want to do some sleuthing and post some more details. Here's a few things to look for:

When you run water for a little while, do you hear the burner in the boiler start up? If it's not starting up, then there's your problem. Look for a reset button on the burner. If it won't stay reset, call a technician to clean and service the burner. If it does start up, but long after a tap is turned on, you may need to adjust the boiler's thermostat. Watch the thermometer when the water is running and see how far it drops before the burner comes on. Turn the tap back off and notice how far it climbs back up. If it's a dramatic difference (more than 40 degrees), your boiler's thermostat could be going bad.

Take a look at the thermometer on the front of the boiler while there is no water running. What is it reading? If you have baseboard heating, it should be between 180 and 200 degrees. Radiant floor heat, between 120 and 150 degrees. If the temperature is lower than this, there won't be enough heat transfer into the domestic water heat exchanger from the heating water...it will be warm for a moment but once the water in the heat exchanger is consumed, it will go cooler. Also, if it's below these spec's your home isn't being heated all that efficiently either.

Some homes with domestic HW and boilers combined have tempuring valves between the hot and cold sides. This allows some cool water in to keep the domestic hot water from being too hot. If someone has tweaked this valve, or if the boiler's temperature has changed, The tempuring valve may need to be tweaked for the optimal domestic hot water temperature.

av-geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Burnham oil fired boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaline View Post
My water coming out of faucets will not stay hot when heater is on. What could be the possible problem/problems?
Ayuh,... My guess is, when the house is callin' for Heat, the boiler can't keep up....

Mine does that if both zones call for heat at the same time yer runnin' the hot water....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #4

Burnham oil fired boiler

A couple questions, how long has this been going on, is this new or old equipment, have you lived at the property a couple years, has anything changed since last year with your system ?
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote