Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

Share |

Burnham oil boiler

My old house has a two year old, oil fired boiler feeding much older cast iron radiators. All of my previous homes were gas fired forced air, so I am learning about the system as I go.

I recently had a tech out to correct a non functioning oil level gauge in my oil tank, and he commented that I should keep an eye on my boiler for what he referred to as "known issues". Specifically, he claims they are prone to cracked blocks. He also told me that my 83% efficiency rating at the flue really translated to about 50% burn efficiency.

It is a single zone, low pressure boiler, with a tank less water heating coil
Model # PV86WT-TLWF
S # 64837652

Does anyone have any input on this? I have tried a couple searches on the internet, but not found anything that seems relevant. Perhaps I am going about my search in the wrong way?

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Burnham oil boiler

Quote:
Does anyone have any input on this?
Ayuh,... Sounds like the Tech was tryin' to sell a new boiler...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Burnham oil boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1910NE View Post
My old house has a two year old, oil fired boiler feeding much older cast iron radiators. All of my previous homes were gas fired forced air, so I am learning about the system as I go.

I recently had a tech out to correct a non functioning oil level gauge in my oil tank, and he commented that I should keep an eye on my boiler for what he referred to as "known issues". Specifically, he claims they are prone to cracked blocks. He also told me that my 83% efficiency rating at the flue really translated to about 50% burn efficiency.

It is a single zone, low pressure boiler, with a tank less water heating coil
Model # PV86WT-TLWF
S # 64837652

Does anyone have any input on this? I have tried a couple searches on the internet, but not found anything that seems relevant. Perhaps I am going about my search in the wrong way?

The V8 has been known in the past to have a problem. Burnham is suppose to have corrected this. And your should be one of the corrected ones. they will stand behind it. And will give a free block if it cracks within 10 years I believe, maybe 20, not sure anymore. You do have to pay for the labor. But its a lot cheaper then buying a new boiler for no reason.

As far as the efficiency. Your tech was talking out his. You know what.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #4

Burnham oil boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The V8 has been known in the past to have a problem. Burnham is suppose to have corrected this. And your should be one of the corrected ones. they will stand behind it. And will give a free block if it cracks within 10 years I believe, maybe 20, not sure anymore. You do have to pay for the labor. But its a lot cheaper then buying a new boiler for no reason.

As far as the efficiency. Your tech was talking out his. You know what.
I am not the original owner (purchaser) of this furnace. In the event of a problem, do you think Burnham would still replace the block for free? Another reason for my concern is that I am starting to see some corrosion around the area of the heating coils...
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Burnham oil boiler

The warranty is to the original owner. Of course, if the boiler wasn't registered. Then Burnham doesn't know that you aren't the original owner.

The corrosion around the tankless coil. Is probably from the gasket. Which is a pain to change. But not real hard to do, if changed before eh corrosion builds up too much.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote