Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #1

Share |

Burners won't light

Hi, I have a 1986 Trane furnace with a standing pilot light ( that is lit and stays lit), and the burners (3) will not ignite. We checked the thermostat and it seems to be fine, so we then replaced the thermocouple. Having read some online posts, we were sure this would fix the problem. It didn't. We have also replaced the fuse, which seemed okay. When the problem first started, we could hear a clicking from the electrical box (? in the furnace) when we would open the furnace door and hold the saftey switch to try and trigger the burners, now we don't hear that when the door is opened or we push the safety trigger on the door. Any ideas. Thanks.

The furnace is a: Trane model #blu080e92481
serial #s23550849
mfg date 06/86

Okay, I took the theromstat apart, there is only a red and white wire, I tried to "jump" the furnace and it would not go on.

Last edited by sherben2; 03-10-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: update
sherben2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #2

Thumbs up

Burners won't light

The furnace repair man was just here, he thought it was the gas valve. He replaced it turned the furnace on , but the burners did not go fire up. He messed with it some more and after tapping the new gas valve the burners kicked on. He said it was because it was new, and should not pose a futher problem. Heat is pouring out of our vents, yea. The part cost $97.00 dollars and he is sending us a bill for the 1 1/2 hour labor and travel time, yikes. But we DO have heat.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
the Musigician

Burners won't light

i bet it's going to happen again...... when he tapped, he also 'tapped' the pressure switch, which i am betting is the REAL culprit.
but what do i know?

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

Burners won't light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
i bet it's going to happen again...... when he tapped, he also 'tapped' the pressure switch, which i am betting is the REAL culprit.
but what do i know?

DM

DangerMouse,

The furnace repair man checked the gas pressure before he tapped on the valve, and the pressure was zero. That is why he thought it was just sticking a little, because it was new. The pressure switch had voltage. But, you never know...he said he'd come back if there was a problem.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
the Musigician

Burners won't light

well, it'd be the FIRST thing i'd check if it does it again....

DM
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Burners won't light

I think it is time to upgrade your furnace, those standing pilots are not very energy efficient. It probably will just keep on giving you problems.
bl19811 is offline   Reply With Quote