Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #1

Share |

Burners won't all light

I have a propane furnace that has three burners,about 50% of the time two of the burners will light and the third one won't.I have made sure that the burners are clean and the the orfice is all so clean.some times I can blow a puff of air with my windy mouth and the third will light. I know that the burners have a small channnel that I believe is to carry the flame from the adjacent burners .I have even moved the burners to different locations, no help and the best I can tell the burners are alll the same.What am I overlooking? Vern

Vern Clanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #2

Burners won't all light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Clanton View Post
I have a propane furnace that has three burners,about 50% of the time two of the burners will light and the third one won't.I have made sure that the burners are clean and the the orfice is all so clean.some times I can blow a puff of air with my windy mouth and the third will light. I know that the burners have a small channnel that I believe is to carry the flame from the adjacent burners .I have even moved the burners to different locations, no help and the best I can tell the burners are alll the same.What am I overlooking? Vern
what is your manifold pressure?

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
plummen (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
how

Burners won't all light

If you've removed the burners and cleaned them inside and out, ( a piece of very thin metal from a tin can should be able to be slid the same depth into all the crossovers). The crossovers all line up exactly on the same plane and depth.
Is it just one orifice location that is causing problems even when you switch the burners around? When the problem burner does light does it look the same size as the other burner flames? Is it only the burner that is farthest from the gas coming in?
I have never proffessionally experienced this myself but some other techs have talked about baby spiders crawling into the orifices and having webs or dead spiders rolling around inside the gas manifold that randomly limit the ability of an orifice to work properly even when they look clean.

Last edited by how; 12-27-2011 at 01:08 PM.
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
Tileguy

Burners won't all light

Quote:
baby spiders crawling into the orifices and having webs or dead spiders rolling around inside the gas manifold that randomly limit the ability of an orifice to work properly even when they look clean.
Exactly...cob-webs can foul a burner in a matter of hours even if they have been cleaned thoroughly. Check that out first. It doesn't take but a spec of something to foul an orifice or a burner tube and interupt the flow.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #5

Burners won't all light

It is the farthest burner from the gas coming in.and when it does finaly light it burns just the same as the other two no differenct in flame and i have checked the one that is causing the trouble and the orfice two times for blockage and there are no spider webs or any other type of bug in them.it just seem to me to be a flame transfer problem that i can not figer out why. Vern
Vern Clanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #6

Burners won't all light

what is your manifold pressure?
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
jkv

Burners won't all light

what you are missing is the ? Harleyrider keeps asking....what is the manifold pressure
jkv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:11 AM   #8

Burners won't all light

Spiders love propane. OH!! What's your manifold pressure? LOL

Last edited by COLDIRON; 12-28-2011 at 06:11 AM. Reason: changed
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM   #9
Hvac Pro

Burners won't all light

Here's your culprit. I have heard of people huffing freon fumes but apparently these guys like Propane.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
jkv

Burners won't all light

Good one Yuri, LMAO.

jkv is offline   Reply With Quote