Burners Not Igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace

Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I recently purchased a home that has an ICP fan assisted combustion gas furnace that controls half of the house. The model # is FBF075B12A3. The first night in the house, the heat worked for about half the night. I woke up the next morning and it was 59 degrees. The unit is located in the attic. Here is what I know at this point:

There is an electrical switch and manual gas valve located next to the unit. I have turned them both off/on & closed/open.

I checked to make sure we didn't kick the breaker (haven't electrically checked to see if the fuse is still good). I have cycled them off/on.

Cleaned inside the panels to remove extra dust and debris.

Filter is relatively clean.

I replaced the thermostat with a Honeywell 5/2 digital programmable thermostat. It is wired the same as our other identical thermostat which is connected to an identical furnace controlling the rest of the house.

Blower motor kicks on when the thermostat is set to fan, but not when it's set to heat.

When heat is turned on, you can hear the combustion blower power up and run in the top of the unit. You can also hear a click and "hiss" like gas is being supplied (I even detect a light gas smell during this time). The burners are simply not igniting.

I'm not sure if the lack of ignition is causing the blower motor not to run or vice versa. I would really like to troubleshoot this myself without having someone make a service call, especially if it's a simple fix. Like I said, it did work for 1/2 of a night in the house. Other than that, I don't know the history of the unit. The previous owners reported no problems with the system.

Please let me know what other information I need to provide.

Advertisement

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Hi,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I recently purchased a home that has an ICP fan assisted combustion gas furnace that controls half of the house. The model # is FBF075B12A3. The first night in the house, the heat worked for about half the night. I woke up the next morning and it was 59 degrees. The unit is located in the attic. Here is what I know at this point:

There is an electrical switch and manual gas valve located next to the unit. I have turned them both off/on & closed/open.

I checked to make sure we didn't kick the breaker (haven't electrically checked to see if the fuse is still good). I have cycled them off/on.

Cleaned inside the panels to remove extra dust and debris.

Filter is relatively clean.

I replaced the thermostat with a Honeywell 5/2 digital programmable thermostat. It is wired the same as our other identical thermostat which is connected to an identical furnace controlling the rest of the house.

Blower motor kicks on when the thermostat is set to fan, but not when it's set to heat.

When heat is turned on, you can hear the combustion blower power up and run in the top of the unit. You can also hear a click and "hiss" like gas is being supplied (I even detect a light gas smell during this time). The burners are simply not igniting.

I'm not sure if the lack of ignition is causing the blower motor not to run or vice versa. I would really like to troubleshoot this myself without having someone make a service call, especially if it's a simple fix. Like I said, it did work for 1/2 of a night in the house. Other than that, I don't know the history of the unit. The previous owners reported no problems with the system.

Please let me know what other information I need to provide.
sounds like honeywell smartvalve....the ignitor is not comming on....after inducer motor starts maybe 15-20 seconds later ignitor should glow...then burnners lite....

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 714

Post some well lit pics of it with both doors off. If you can smell gas the probably the HSI hot surface igniter (red hot glow coil) that lights the gas is burnt out.

Click Go Advanced>manage attachments to upload pics.

If the gas valve has 2 wiring harnesses and a bunch of wires coming out of it and a number like SV8500xxxx etc then it is a smartvalve and you need a ICP or Heil Pro to check it as it has a circuit board inside and beyond most DIYers ability.

Last edited by yuri; 03-27-2014 at 04:48 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #4

this is a ignitor assy for smartvalve...
Attached Thumbnails
Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-018.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I will take some pictures shortly and report back.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Here are some pictures. A couple more to come...
Attached Thumbnails
Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image.jpg   Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-1-.jpg   Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-2-.jpg   Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-3-.jpg   Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-7-.jpg  

Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-6-.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 PM   #7

Here is another group of pictures. Hope this helps...if I need to take anymore, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-5-.jpg   Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-4-.jpg   Burners not igniting - ICP Combustion Gas Furnace-image-8-.jpg  
Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

It is not going to be a quick fix. I have not seen that particular unit but it looks like it has a spark ignition and blue wire coming from the pilot burner to a ignition control. Best to call a Pro IMO. Not getting any spark for some reason.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
I have not seen that particular unit but it looks like it has a spark ignition and blue wire coming from the pilot burner to a ignition control.
Correct. The ignition control is a Honeywell S8600M.

Quote:
Best to call a Pro IMO. Not getting any spark for some reason.
That's what I was afraid of. Is there anything I can test with a multimeter in a case like this (either to repair or further diagnose)?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #10

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of. Is there anything I can test with a multimeter in a case like this (either to repair or further diagnose)?
that is not a smartvalve ...its spark ignition... check all your connections on ignition control board...also make sure vaccum ports are open..thats where the orange hose connects to both sides...motor side insert small drill bit...pressure switch side be gentle....could have small blockage..

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 03-28-2014 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Quote:

That unit is 15 yrs old 1998 on gas valve and at that time the spark generator in the ignition control may have died from old age. Sounds like it is getting the proper 24 volts if it is energizing the gas valve so I suspect the control. HOWEVER the replacement is probably a S86U universal model which is very complicated and difficult to understand or install for non Pros as there were 12 or more versions of S86 controls and if you don't set the jumpers and wire it properly then it may be dangerous. If you can find the exact S86M then you may want to try it. Better to call a Pro. The igniter in the pilot burner may faulty also.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
that is not a smartvalve ...its spark ignition... check all your connections on ignition control board...also make sure vaccum ports are open..thats where the orange hose connects to both sides...motor side insert small drill bit...pressure switch side be gentle....could have small blockage..
I tried to squeeze the tube gently this morning to feel for blockages and couldn't feel anything. I'll try to disconnect later and report back...
Old 03-28-2014, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
That unit is 15 yrs old 1998 on gas valve and at that time the spark generator in the ignition control may have died from old age. Sounds like it is getting the proper 24 volts if it is energizing the gas valve so I suspect the control. HOWEVER the replacement is probably a S86U universal model which is very complicated and difficult to understand or install for non Pros as there were 12 or more versions of S86 controls and if you don't set the jumpers and wire it properly then it may be dangerous. If you can find the exact S86M then you may want to try it. Better to call a Pro. The igniter in the pilot burner may faulty also.
Thanks for the information. If it helps, here are the steps I performed this morning...

I made sure both sides of the blue lead were connected securely. Within about 5 secs of turning the unit on at the thermostat I heard a click and hiss like gas was being supplied. There was 1 click initially (about 3 seconds after the exhaust motor engaged) but the hiss continued for about 1 min 15 secs. At that point, there was a smaller click and the hissing stopped. The exhaust motor continued, but the blower motor never engaged. The was never a sign of a spark or heat.

Hope this helps continue to narrow it down.

Advertisement