Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Burner Keeps shutting off

I have a Carrier 58 Series Down flow furnace. I have been having a problem with the burners staying on. I'm no HVAC guy so I wanted some advise on the trouble shooting I did.

Symptoms:
Constant pilot seams to work fine. When the furnace kicks on the burners ignite. After a few moments the blower kicks on. Everything seams to work fine until the burners turn off and the blower continues to run. The furnace will continue to cycle on and off approximately every two minutes with the burners turning back on sometimes but then shutting of in the same manner as previously described. So the thermostat constantly reads the same temperature as the furnace never really puts out hot air.

So what I did was push the manual reset on the limit switch at the top of the furnace. This seams to fix the problem for a little bit but then it comes back. I removed the limit switch and jumped the two wires together bypassing this limit switch. The wiring diagram shows two limit switches in series. Limit switch one and the manual reset aux limit switch. I'm bypassing the aux limit switch. This seams to fix the problem completely. My question is could there be something else wrong with the furnace and should I be looking at other possibilities or is it as simple as the limit switch went bad?

seabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Looks like you found your problem. However, your new problem is that you now have a furnace without the proper safeguards. Do not run it until you replace the switch, it could be very dangerous.

hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

hvac benny

thanks, I think thats the problem but I just want to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I have turned the furnace off and removed my temporary jumper and its getting pretty cold in here considering its about 15 degrees outside. I knew that sub zero sleeping bag would come in handy.
seabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Happy Camping =)
hvac benny is offline   Reply With Quote