Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

building an refrigeration unit

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site, though I'm as much of a diy'er when I can be. I need some HVAC advice. I want to build a propyelene glycol chilling system. I've heard of people just using a window a/c unit, and putting the evap coils into the glycol tank, but the casing on the coil unit starts to rust and then clogs the glycol pump. I'd also just like to build one that's larger than you could do with a window unit.

My question is, where could I find enough information to build a unit from scratch? I understand the basic refrigeration cycle and have have an idea of what parts I'd need, I just know nothing about part compatibility or the size/length of coils I'd need on each side. Where can I get enough information to do this? I'd like to build between a 6K and 10K btu system, btw.

Thanks for any and all help!

rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtockstein View Post
...but the casing on the coil unit starts to rust and then clogs the glycol pump.
You'll probably need to make your own coil...
using something (stainless? aluminum?) that doesn't react to the chemicals.

Quote:
My question is, where could I find enough information..
I just know nothing about part compatibility...
start with an Aireco catalogue
http://www.aireco.com/

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 01-13-2012 at 05:18 PM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp View Post
You'll probably need to make your own coil...
using something (stainless? aluminum?) that doesn't react to the chemicals.

start with an Aireco catalogue
http://www.aireco.com/
Yea, if I were to build a unit from scratch, I'd be building my own coil. The problem is I wouldn't know how to figure out what length and diameter of tube I'd need.

I'd just use copper though, since copper oxidation isn't flaky and awful like the rust is that would be coming off the galvanized casing (or whatever it's made of).

I found out that I'd need a 1 to 1.5 HP compressor, which equates to being able to handle a 5500 to about 7500 BTU load. Anyone know where I can find out how to build one to those specs?
rtockstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,036

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtockstein View Post
I found out that I'd need a 1 to 1.5 HP compressor...
Based on what?

Quote:
The problem is I wouldn't know how to figure out what length and diameter of tube I'd need.
It's usually a function of "exposure" (how many square inches of surface per linear foot) relative to the space available.

When I was doing custom S/S fab we built refrigerators and freezers and frost over display things for buffet lines using either standard ACR copper tubing bent by hand or copper pipe with 180' U bends at each end.

hth
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Just use a window AC unit - you can get those in 10k and larger sizes. Pull out the finned evaporator coil and replace it with either stainless or copper loops, using the same diameter lines. If you are immersing this coil in liquid glycol heat exchange shouldn't be an issue.

I would try to estimate how long the primary evaporator line is (without the fins) and use that to size your new coil. Then just stick the thermostat in the glycol, set the temp and let er' rip. Just make sure the glycol is circulating well.
Thunder Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote