||Thread Tools||Search this Thread||Display Modes|
|11-16-2010, 10:01 PM||#1|
Join Date: Nov 2010
Build a High CFM Stacked Drum Home Air Putifier
I have alot of airborne dust in my house. For an decent airflow, noise is my enemy so will the following noise-suppressing design work that forces air around two S-Turns lined with noise suppressing foam?
1. Take 4 plastic cylinders of diameters 12inch;, 16inches;x2 and 20inch;.
2. Starting with the 12in, mount a small Stanley blower facing downward on a baffle in the middle, creating two chambers: low pressure behind the blower, high pressure in front.
3.Line the 12in cylinder inside and out with 1in thick sound absorbing foam.
4. Then place two 16in tubes, also lined with 1in foam, over each end (top and bottom) so each half will almost meet in the middle with a 4 inch gap, and a 1in space in between the cylinders all around for air flow
5.Place a flat 4in wide ring barrier (cut out of poster board) around the outside middle of the 16in tube
6. Slide the contraption into a 20inch tube lined with 1in sound insulation and cover the top and bottom except for the open 1in outer circumference for air intake.
7. Install a cut-to-fit filtrete 1500 allergen barrier furnace filter on top so that the (a) intake air comes in from the top going down, (b) turns up at the middle and (c) down again into the 12inch tube behind the blower, and does a similar S Turn before exiting at the bottom.
It seems like a good way to knock 50db off the blower noise while getting 1000CFM airflow, because I don't think the sound will be able to travel the distance and around the turns with sound absorbing foam lining the path, but the air pressure will.
I've no HVAC experience, but I think the noise suppression would be effective. Does anyone agree?
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Davisro; 11-16-2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: 12" replaced with 12"
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|How much more expensive is to build home from brick/steel/concrete instead of wood?||Nuieve||Building & Construction||10||12-11-2011 09:09 PM|
|NEWBIE- Looking to build my own Barn Home in Idaho||LAWFISH||General DIY Discussions||2||11-14-2008 07:43 PM|
|Owning a home (not a mobile home) on leased land?||Badfish740||Off Topic||11||03-30-2008 09:34 AM|
|Sweating windows||big daddy-o||General DIY Discussions||15||01-06-2008 02:41 PM|
|Pay GC to construct home and finish it myself? L O N G . . .||Badfish740||Off Topic||9||07-27-2007 08:44 AM|