Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #1

Share |

Bryant - sporadic lockout

I am looking for help with a 7 yr old Bryant furnace, Mdl 310AAV066135. About 2 wks ago during a sub-zero cold snap, I found our furnace in a complete lockout flashing error code 21 - Gas Heating Lockout. After re-setting the power to the furnace, it fired right up and didn't have any issues until last night. Last night, I caught the furnace in a temporary lockout flashing error code 34 - Ignition Proving Failure.
After re-setting the power, I watched the start-up and caught the furnace attempt to light with only the 2 burner tubes around the igniter lighting. There are 6 burner tubes total. The furnace did this 3 times and on the 4th attempt, the furnace lit and has run without incident overnight.
I have cleaned the flame sensor with steel wool, the filter is changed regularly (current filter has been in 3 weeks) and I changed out the igniter 1 yr ago.
I get the feeling the gas control valve is going bad, but am unsure. Any ideas or do I need to get a repairman out to look at it. I'm a firefighter and am gone on 24-hr shifts. I don't trust the furnace anymore and am afraid it is going to lockout one of these days when I'm not home! Thanks for your help.
ernie6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

The burners need to be removed and cleaned with a brush and flushed with hot water and the crossover slots cleaned and checked for alignment and proper gap size. The gas pressure needs to be checked by a Pro with a manometer.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at the crossovers and while they only have a small amount of dust on them, I'll pull them and give them a good cleaning. We'll see what happens after that. No problem all day with the furnace. Makes me nervous on when it will lockout next!
ernie6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

They should be perfectly even and open the thickness of a dime. Wash them works well and gets the dust from the internal diffuser out.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote