Bryant/Honeywell T841A 1639 Thermostat Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bryant/Honeywell T841A 1639 thermostat problem

I posted this on another forum, but they are non DIY.

Hello,
I have what I believe to be a thermostat problem.

Background;
House bought 10 years ago with a 2.5t Bryant heat pump and air handler.

Replaced air handler 4 years ago with a Goodman ARUF036-00A-1A 3t, but continued to use the same Bryant 2.5t outside unit. This unit is supposed to have 10KW multi stage heat.

Replaced outside heat pump with a Goodman GSH130361, 3t heat pump 2 years ago.

Controlled by a mechanical t-stat, Bryant/Honeywell T841A 1639 with EM Heat setting and light and Aux heat light.

We never used the heat much at all till now. We now have very cold temps and are running the heat daily.

With temps below 30 deg the system runs constantly, but cant really raise the temp in the house, so it falls slowly. Its not blowing cold air, but around room temp air.

When the system goes into defrost, the EM Heat light come on, but the unit blows air that steadily gets colder, like A/C cold, till the EM Heat light goes off and the defrost cycle is over. Then its back to room temp air.

My A/C installer told me to run the EM Heat all the time, but like I said above, it doesnt blow warm air when the EM Heat is on, it blows steadily colder air.

If I go to the thermostat and kick the lever up to 70+ deg, the AUX light comes on, I smell a faint burning smell, and we get HEAT, NOW. Obviously the 10KW heat strips are engaged at that point.

Im wondering if when the new air handler was installed, that somehow the EM Heat and AUX heat wires were switched.

It seems to me, and Im NOT a trained HVAC person, that its when the EM Heat light comes on during defrost that we should be getting the HEAT, NOW.

Question;
I looked at the wiring diagram and W2 on the t-stat is for AUX heat, and E is for EM Heat. Can I merely swap the wires on the back of the t-stat, the E and the W2 wires, to make the EM Heat come on when its supposed to?

Thanks,
Mike

Advertisement

MikeInMobileAL is offline   Reply With Quote