Bryant Furnace Main Burner Goes Out After 5 Seconds - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bryant Furnace main burner goes out after 5 seconds

I had an earlier post last week on my problem and I have been keeping close track ever since. Here is the scenario. Im having a problem with my furnace. It is a Bryant Induced-Combustion furnace. The furnace works fine during the day at about 5pm the following happens. The draft inducer motor turns on and runs for about 2 minutes, then the inducer motor stops the pilot (orange glowing bar) will light, and then the burners will light but after 5 seconds then burner flame goes out and the main blower will run for about 2-3 minutes. This process repeats itself over and over. Sometimes the furnace completley refueses to start up and the tem drops 6 degrees in the house. The only way I can get the furnace to work for any extended period of time (15-20 minutes)is by shutting off the main power switch on the side of the furnace and then turn it back on. The furnace will light fine and workagain without this failure for about 24 hours. I also have noticed on occassion that the failure happens (cycleing with burner going out afer 5 seconds) but maybe after 3 cycles the burner will stay lit and heat the house. Any help on what I should do next is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Da_Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
weinstall.ca

Rewards Points: 25

Remove the flame sensor.
get steel wool and clean it , do not use sandpaper

Allan Thorne
Clarkson Comfort Zone Heating and Air conditioning
Mississauga Ontario
http://www.weinstall.ca

Advertisement

allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
sub-contractor

Rewards Points: 25

cleaning the flame sense rod (the little rod that sits directly in front of the burners, not the igniter which is the "red glowing thing" as you mentioned it) will keep the burners on ONLY when the air switch tells it that the inducer motor is running.

Therefor if the inducer motor stops running before the igniter turns on and the burners fire up, as I think that you are saying, the problem lies with the inducer motor. Also check to make sure that the flue is not blocked in any way. (birds nests etc.)

please reply to clarify the timing of the inducer motor shut off. before or after the burner lighting and going out?:confused:
Aceinstaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

Did you have any results from this? I am having the same problem also.

Thanks,

Ryan
rygu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Union HVAC Tech.

Rewards Points: 500

The inducer should run the whole time the pilot and burners are on, if not you need to check and see if it has 120v to it and it isn't running. If it has power but the motor is overheated and stopped you need to replace the inducer assembly.
bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #6

Will clean (and possibly reposition) the flame sensor rod and get back to this thread.

The rod seems to be positioned somewhat 'out of the way' in relation to the flames.
Matyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #7

unless that rod got bent somehow......i would advise against trying to reposition it, if you crack the porcelain base the sensor will be junk. Just clean it (and, you CAN use sand paper....i have 30 years of service under my belt and i have used the same sand paper that we use to clean copper pipe with no problems what so ever) and put it back in the way it came out. if you happen to be on propane, and the end of the Rod is "burnt up" cleaning it will still help but you should replace it.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to harleyrider For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (01-02-2012)
Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #8

Okay some I'm a chick here and not too technically inclined but I had the same problem, found the sensor, couldn't get to it and couldn't figure out how to get screw out so I reached my arm into the hole with an emory board (for finger nail filing!) and I rubbed it around the sensor as best as I could for as long as I could stand to and voila!! I have heat, it's running, the flame stays lit and my house has heated from 64 degrees to 67 degrees already and climbing! Thanks to all you do it yourself guys (AND GALS) for your help!! A repairman probably would have done the same thing in 5 minutes and charged me hundreds.
justamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by justamom View Post
Okay some I'm a chick here and not too technically inclined but I had the same problem, found the sensor, couldn't get to it and couldn't figure out how to get screw out so I reached my arm into the hole with an emory board (for finger nail filing!) and I rubbed it around the sensor as best as I could for as long as I could stand to and voila!! I have heat, it's running, the flame stays lit and my house has heated from 64 degrees to 67 degrees already and climbing! Thanks to all you do it yourself guys (AND GALS) for your help!! A repairman probably would have done the same thing in 5 minutes and charged me hundreds.
great work Mom........

Advertisement

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote