Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #1

Share |

Bryant Furnace 394HAD not staying on

Here's a brief description of my problem and where I am so far:

Day 1:
Got up Sunday morning to a cold house. Went down to the thermostat and noticed that it said the temp was 62, however, the temperature setting was set 68. In addition, the Sears thermostat that we have had the battery light indicator on. I tried to increase the thermostat to a higher reading (70, 71, etc), however, the system didn't kick on.

My wife noticed a burnt smell coming from the vents.

Action:
I replaced the batteries in the thermostat with new batteries. The battery indicator light remained on.

I called our HVAC tech.

He came over and told us that the blower motor was gone and that it needed to be replaced. He replaced the blower motor Sunday morning (same day)$250.00 and ran it through two cycles to make sure all was working fine. He left. By the way, the "battery" indicator light on the thermostat went away after the system started back up.

The system was running fine until Sunday evening. We had left for a couple of hours, and when we arrived home, the system was off and the thermostat had the battery indicator on and the system was not coming on. The furnace would kick on the all of the burners, but the blower would never start up, then it would just turn off.

Called to tell our HVAC tech, he planned to came out the following day (Monday evening).

Day 2:
In the meantime, I replaced our thermostat (Monday afternoon) thinking this would take one of the variables out of the situation.

The HVAC tech came out Monday evening, he was at a loss for what was wrong. He spent an hour fiddling around and came to the conclusion that our circuit board was bad. Then, before he left, he fiddled around with his screwdriver on the circuit board (while holding in the power switch on the bottom portion of the furnace) and suddenly the system came on.

The furnace ran fine Monday evening and into Tuesday afternoon, then it quit working. When I say quit working, the system still tried to come on...meaning, it would kick on the all of the burners, but the blower would never start up.

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is...and we are not sure that we want to spend more money on a circuit board when that may not be the answer. The blower motor that was installed didn't totally fix the problem.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

cswatson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
Part of the Clover Leaf

was the board changed?

hvac5646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
was the board changed?

No, the board was not changed. He said there was no guarantee that would fix it. He didn't seem to do any diagnostics to determine that, it seemed to be more of a last ditch effort.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
how

Most likely a Faulty Blower relay on board! Replace board.
It sounds like poor diagnostics unless the tech confirmed the motor was being powered and wouldn't run. Tapping the blower relay may give you back heat it for a day but it's not a repair you can reley on.
You could ask if your old motor should be reinstalled with the motor price going towards the new board.
how is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by how View Post
Most likely a Faulty Blower relay on board! Replace board.
It sounds like poor diagnostics unless the tech confirmed the motor was being powered and wouldn't run. Tapping the blower relay may give you back heat it for a day but it's not a repair you can reley on.
You could ask if your old motor should be reinstalled with the motor price going towards the new board.

I like the idea of the old motor being re-installed, but the tech said that he already trashed it, since it was bad. Can the blower relay itself be replaced on the board, or does the entire board need to be replaced?

Another question, is the board replacement something that I could tackle?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:10 AM   #6

http://shortyshvac.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=128

It is not difficult as long as you take measures not to cross any wires.

(I have never used that site for products. I get them from Carrier)

Last edited by Houston204; 02-23-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Houston204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston204 View Post
http://shortyshvac.com/index.php?mai...roducts_id=128

It is not difficult as long as you take measures not to cross any wires.

(I have never used that site for products. I get them from Carrier)

Turns out it was a bad circuit board. When the tech took the old one off, the back of the board (behind the blower motor relay) was burnt out.

Thanks for the help and suggestions that was posted!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:08 AM   #8

sounds like the burnt smell was from the board, not the blower. i had a similar problem, but it sucks that you spent the $250 on a blower motor that sounds like wasn't necessary.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
how

I 've always left the removed parts with the customer for disposal & if I'm not 100% confident in the diagnostic's, ask them to hang onto them for at least a week or so.
The out with the trash excuse is convenient for the tech but I bet this customer won't be calling that guy back again.

how is online now   Reply With Quote