Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

bryant electric furnace

My brother just called with a problem with his 20 year old bryant electric furnace (like I know anything about these things).

I have not seen the furnace yet, but the problem he is having is that he can't control the furnace from the stat. He turns it on and off from the furnace it self.
Before I go there and make a fool of myself, can anyone give me some tips on what to look for, where to possibly take some electrical readings and so on?

How do I check the stat to see if that is the problem?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

cmazgo

cmazgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 34

bryant electric furnace

Electric furnaces are very dangerous DIY projects unless you have previous electrical skills. They use 240 volts and the main breaker (which can be you) is usually 100 amps or more. He probably has some sticking sequencers which may be obsolete on the older units. I would recommend a qualified electrician check it out for safety reasons. $$ ain't worth dying for.

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #3

bryant electric furnace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Electric furnaces are very dangerous DIY projects unless you have previous electrical skills. They use 240 volts and the main breaker (which can be you) is usually 100 amps or more. He probably has some sticking sequencers which may be obsolete on the older units. I would recommend a qualified electrician check it out for safety reasons. $$ ain't worth dying for.
Dont call an electrian, you have a furnace problem, not a electrical problem, and most wont know squat about a furnace. like yuri said there is a sequencer reley that is sticking and will need replaced, you might not be able to find a exact sequencer to replace it, but there are universal parts that will work. electric furnaces are easy to work on if you know what you are doing..imp
HvacWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 34

bryant electric furnace

Some "service" electricians I know who do service and controls work are very good. The installing type usually are not good at service. Our poster is very inexperienced and to work on an electric furnace it has to be "live". Hopefully he stays that way.

Cheers
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 AM   #5

bryant electric furnace

yuri: Thanks for the advice. I will probably take it and inform him to get professional help.

I would like to see my 55th birthday standing not in a coffin.

Thanks
cmazgo
cmazgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:40 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 20

bryant electric furnace

There are several things that could cause it.

A competant and experienced service tech should be able to locate the problem relatively quickly.

Might be best to use one in theis case. So both you and your brother are covered. And neither has to explain to the others wife, why the house caught fire. Or all the electrical wiring started to melt. Or worse.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote