Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

Bryant/Carrier Start Relay

Last year my Bryant ACís contactor started sparking / chattering and eventually burned out. While inspecting it, Iíve also noticed a leaked start capacitor, so figuring it was the culprit, Iíve replaced them both and the AC ran fine for a few months until the fall. This year the new contactor is at it again Ė sparks and keeps failing to hold (but eventually does after a dozen of intermittent tries). This time I figured I should go for a start relay / capacitor combo, but trouble is Ė I canít find this specific relay anywhere. Carrier part # is HN61HB540 (GEís 3ARR3BL3P5), but when I search for it online I only come across PDFs referencing some KSAHS ďstart capacitor/ relay kitsĒ, but nobodyís actually selling them, nor separate relays. Can a Carrier/Bryant expert please recommend a substitute?
Any tips will be greatly appreciated!
neWave

neWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
as seen on tv

If the contacter is chattering sounds like you have a voltage drop somewhere in the line. High pressure or low pressure switch bare low voltage line. I would think the parts you are replacing is just the end result of the underlying problem.

qbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #3

So in that case, where would you suggest to look upstream? Could the AC be wired incorrecty, or is it the overall load on the house? Intermittency of this issue is what's most puzzling. Sometimes it starts and runs fine. Sometimes contacter sparks for a few times and then engages. And then sometimes it'll be suffering multiple chatter attacks with periods of inoperable silence inbetween, completely failing to maintain contact.
neWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #4

Somewhere between the indoor and out door unit the may be a nick or crimp in the control wire.
Could also be a loose connection at the furnace/airhandeler or the the thermostat.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #5

Measure the nominal 240v going into the unit right at the unit; if it changes more than 3% or 5% between the unit running normally and when the unit is switched off there is a high resistance upstream.
How long of what size alum. or copper wire runs to the unit?

Last edited by Yoyizit; 07-27-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote