Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #1
DMG

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Bryant A/C seems to run slow

Hello,
I have a 11 year old Bryant A/C unit that quit cooling the house. Checked the cond. and fan, could hear the cond. clicking. Had to start the fan by hand, and cond. started running. Ran for about 5 min. and shut down. But it wasnt the normal shut down. After 5 more min. the cond. clicks nothing runs, does this for about 6 times at one min. intervals. After that the cond. clicks and wants the fan to start running, which can only start by hand. Another 5 min. and shuts down again. When it does run it seems like its running slower than it should like its lagging. It did cool when it was runnig though. I was told it was the fan motor but replaced that and the same problem exists. Any help would be Greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DMG; 07-02-2007 at 09:29 AM.
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Union HVAC Tech.

If you changed the fan motor I hope it was with one of the same specs as the original and that if it is a reversable motor that it is running in the right direction. If it isn't turning on it's own when power is applied look at the capacitor, in that units it is most likely a dual cap that handles the fan motor and the compressor. The old fan motor may not have been bad, just the cap.

bigMikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

Ditto on the previous.

Just because the fan doesn't come on, too many home owner/DIY ers jump to conclusion and replace the motor.

Our business sells a lot of motors and hear the aforementioned situation. And we won't take a return on electrical components. I

t could be a bad capacitor, it could be a a voltage problem. An even then if those are okay, was it supposed to be an 825 or 1075 or 1100 rpm motor. A capacitor should always be replaced when replacing the motor or compressor. If you don't have the meter to test a capacitor, replace it with a new one and see if that helps the motor. Or call a pro and he'll have a meter...or should.

The a/c condenser motor is almost always a 220 VAC motor. I've seen a couple of 120 volt motors in condensers that look like new and the homeowner is stupid enough to play dumb and say it's the same one that's been in since it was new.

Go Buckeyes
Buckeyetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Mechanical Contractor

The systematic clicking you hear is either thermal compressor overloads cycling or more likey the high pressure switch cutting in and out because the condenser fan isn't running. And I totally agree you need to change the capacitors and make sure the motor is an exact replacement.
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #5
DMG

Thanks to all
It was the capacitor. $22 dollars and I'm back in business.
Thanks again,
DMG
DMG is offline   Reply With Quote