Bryant 80% Furnace That Wont Run - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bryant 80% furnace that wont run

Hello,
I have a bryant 80% furnace thats 7-8 years old,model 310aa that wont run.
2 weeks ago it quit and flashed me a 23 code (bad pressure switch), my dad told me of a similair problem and to clean the rubber tube going to the pressure switch so i did and it worked, for 4 days the shut off again.

No code just thermostat calling for power, inductor fan comes on and runs and nothing else happens, inductor doesnt shut off unless i turn off main power.Main blower comes on for the scheduled 90 secs then shuts off, other then that nothing.

So i changed the pressure switch, removed and cleaned the inductor fan and housing, fan wheel was clean,chamber was clean,line to pressure switch was clean.
This is a house im redoing and there is or was alot of dirt and dust around but this all seemed clean.

After replacing pressure switch furnace ran 1 time, and is back to the same thing, no fault flashing just inductor running non stop.Sometimes it runs non stop till i kill power other times i might get a code, more often then not there is no code.

I removed the exhaust pipe from the chimney and i have cool air coming down the chimney i can feel so i assume it is not plugged, i fired the furnace up with exhaust unhooked and got the pressure switch fault again.

I then test with my volt meter the 4 safety switchs i could find, 2 on the flame chamber, they have resets, i tried to push them down and they seem to not be popped, 1 safety in the combustion chamber and 1 on the inductor housing, both are not resetable . All 4 had 24v on both sides of the switches.

I then checked the pressure switch and it didnt have 24v on either terminal. I tried to insert my probe into the plug with it still plugged into the board but i didnt get a reading, but might not have had the probe all the way in. I was going to unplug the plug and test the terminal on the board but didnt know if i should do that with power going to the board or not. I tried wiggling the wires in the plug and still no power to p-switch

Sorry its so long but wanted to cover everything, in short
I have a furnace with no power to the pressure switch and dont know if the board is bad or if i have a safety somewhere making it this way.

Thanks in advance~!

Caaaaaaavvvveeemmaaaaannnn

Advertisement

Caveman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

don't do it with the plug removed or you may damage the board. try stick a paper clip in the plug and attach your meter to it. b4 doing that shut off the power to the furnace and CAREFULLY remove the plug and with a magnifying glass check to see that all the wires are seated down far inside it. if they back up that may be the problem.

Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 12:18 PM   #3

O.k. ill try that.
Can i assume then that its not anyting else other then a bad connection or bad board keeping me from running? Not another safety switch somewhere?
Old 12-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

sequence of op is:

1) tstat calls for heat and starts ventor fan which produces vacuum and closes the press switch. should have 24 volts to one side of the press switch at startup. board checks for open press switch b4 starting the ventor fan and will give that code if it is stuck closed. no other safety switch somewhere, the board gives those codes too.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM   #5

So i pulled the plug (carefully, i hate delicate wiring plugs!) and checked the plug and pin, no massive amount of dirt or anything.
Tried cleaning both alittle anyways and reconnected it and still no power to the pressure switch.
So i guess i ll order a new board and try that unless anyone has a better idea.
Btw any idea why with the t-stat off my inductor starts up and runs non stop during all of my testing? Is it just another sign that my board is bad?
Or just because i dont have power to pressure switch that it cant get a reading and runs trying to get 1?
Thanks again~!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman77 View Post
So i pulled the plug (carefully, i hate delicate wiring plugs!) and checked the plug and pin, no massive amount of dirt or anything.
Tried cleaning both alittle anyways and reconnected it and still no power to the pressure switch.
So i guess i ll order a new board and try that unless anyone has a better idea.
Btw any idea why with the t-stat off my inductor starts up and runs non stop during all of my testing? Is it just another sign that my board is bad?
Or just because i dont have power to pressure switch that it cant get a reading and runs trying to get 1?
Thanks again~!
I would by pass the t stat 1st before ordering a new board....disconnect t-stat wires off board....jumper r-w ....see if it works.....remember this is not a fix but a test....
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:55 AM   #7

I have heat~! haha
Thanks for all the help and thanks to everyone else before and after who posts and to those who reply.
I learned more from reading other posts then i did my own but thats how it works.

I ordered a new board and installed it as no matter what i did , everytime i turned on the power to my furnace the evacuator fan ran non stop, so i assume my board had given up.

I replaced the board very carefully and slowly because i hate fine electronics and i always rush and forget stuff. Doulbe checked all my work and turned on the power!
Nothing...i did another system test and everything was ok...still i couldnt get the furnace to fire...so i used the last piece of advice (last reply i got) and unhooked my thermostat and jumpered it, furnace fired right up.
The day before i had gotten the the board and courage to try changing it i had messed with the thermostat and i think i finished knocking a wire loss that the bad installer i had paid to put it in had started.
So thermostat redone and right... i try for heat again and BANG we got heat!
It has been a week and all is well so far but u never know.
Thanks again to those who posted and to everyone i hope i helped even if just a little bit.

Advertisement