Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #1

Share |

Bryant 383KAV048111 starts up intermittently

I have a 15 year old Bryant 383KAV048111 furnace and here are the symptoms I am experiencing: the draft motor starts up and the burners ignite and once at temperture the blower is cycled to spin up the burners cut off and it starts this over and over again and will eventually the burners will stay started for a blower cycle and then then when the thermo calls for a start this process starts all over again. What could be causing this problem. I am totally broke and can't afford a new controller board as I have heard they are outrageous in price. Please anyone have an inexpensive suggestions/solution?

codacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Change your air filter and make sure all your vents are clean and open. Could be cycling on the limit control. Limit control may be weak and failing from being cycled on/off too many times from poor airflow. Make sure the fan blades are clean and the underside of the AC coil is clean if you have one.

codacas (11-07-2010)
Old 11-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #3

The filter is new for the new heating season. vents are clear and the returns are unobstructed and clean. what is the limit control? and why would cycling it do it harm for repeated cycling?

Thanks
Old 11-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

It is a cheap bi-metal warp disc and loses its sensitivity from expanding/contracting too much. Only meant to be used 1-2x in its life for emergencies when the fan fails. Sits directly above the burners. DO NOT ever jumper it out or you may cause a fire and die! Can check it with a volt meter when the burner is running. Should have 0 volts across it when the burner is on. Once it opens you will get 24 volts AC.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #5

I do not want to start a fire nor die so jumpering the bi-metallic disc is not in the game plan!! Is this disc mounted above the middle burners with 2 red wires attached with spade connectors attached to a plate on the front of the furnace above the heat exchanger? I also took note of the LED Flash code which was 1 short and 2 long which indicated Blower power up (115v or 24v) blower runs for ninety seconds, if unit is powered up during a call for heat(R-W closed)

I also noticed that there is a single wire attached to what appears to be flame sensor that is positioned in front of the first burner on the left that looks like a part you showed a picture of in a previous posting. Could this be also defective based on the info i have given as well as the bi-metallic disc? Are each of these relatively cheap parts or is this repair going to make me more grey than I already am? Thank you Yuri for you assistance and consideration to my questions.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

You may be looking at the flame rollout switch. The limit control sits in the wall of the heat exchanger above the burners a couple inches above them and has 2 wires to it. Should have a number like L170/180/210 etc stamped on it and may have a diode in the wire from it. I would not change it until you find out it is opening with a voltmeter.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #7

Ok so I have found the rectangular brown bakelite like plate on the wall of the furnace. It has one red wire going down through to the control board and then the other red one going to what I think you called the flame rollout switch. This has a rectangular button that feels like a spring loaded momentary type switch which then has a red wire going down through to the control board. Based on your description I think I have found the test points for the 24v/0v readings. If this correct then I should see 24v when the furnace is off and when the call for heat and the burners are ignited and prior to the blower starting up I should see 0v. Is this correct? and if this part is defective how and where do I get a part like this? My 2nd question is what does the LED code 12 really mean?

Last edited by codacas; 11-09-2010 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

Code 12 is normal when it starts up if you have it calling for heat and then turn the power on. Runs for 90 seconds as it thinks it is hot and after a power failure needs to cool itself off. When the burner is running you should always have 0 volts across the limit control. If it opens while the burner is running you will get 24 volts. Don't know where to buy it and it MUST be installed EXACTLY like the original and the same rating AND length. put it in upside down and it will fail when needed and you will have a fire.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #9

Hey Yuri. it's me again I still haven't resolved this problem and the symptoms have change somewhat now. I have no heat at all now and i sat in front ofthe heater for the last 20 min observing the heater in action or I should say inaction. When I hold the door switch closed the blower comes on for 90 sec (like normal) and then the LED flashes 1S 2L for a while and then goes solid ON. Then the call for heat comes and the inducer starts up for about 15-30 seconds and then shuts right down and the LED changes to a flashing of 3S and 1L. I am at loss now as to where do look cause the diagram says it could be 7 differnet issues. Where do I go from here now?? Any suggestions?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

Code 31 is pressure switch open. Could be a faulty switch or a bird stuck in your venting. Remove the pipe at the top of the furnace where it attaches and look for said bird or feathers down inside the ventor. Remove the pressure switch and the hose from the back of it and poke the hole on the furnace collector box where that hose attaches thru with a paper clip. then small nail or drill bit. Check that hose for cracks. If all that fails then you need to have a manometer and see if the furnace is producing enough draft to close the switch. Not uncommon for those switches to develop intermittent sticking problems. I change 6 or more a season. That furnace is known to develop cracks on the dimples of the heat exchanger and should be checked by an experienced Bryant/Carrier/Payne tech.

Last edited by yuri; 12-21-2010 at 06:37 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #11

ok if I take the pipe off of the top of the furnace and see no bird feathers and such and by essentially eliminating the pressure switch "obstruction" with the flue detached from the furnace and as a TEST and only a TEST I allow it to continue the call for heat shouldn't the draft inducer start and stay running and complete the call for heat by supplying current to the ignitor and then opening the gas valve to supply the burners, once ignited and at temp start the blower? YES? YES, I realize gas exhaust would be coming out of the furnace but as I said it would only be a test. Will this prove this whole pressure switch obstruction issue as the problem or am I dealing with a faulty controller board??? or do we need to look elsewhere cause the wife is none to happy with a cold nose and I don't have the scratch to call the HVAC tech to replace parts. AND just now the bloody thing ran all the way up to the point of ignition and then the burners went out immediately. I have to tell you i feel for you in dealling with my problem cause i do pc/computer support over the phone all day long and when you're not in front of it (the fau;ty furnace or PC) it can be frustrating and I am now frustrated because nothing is making sense to me on this problem. S i ask for forgiveness for my ignorance in your world. But I thank you for your patience
Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #12
Hvac Pro

Actually I am quite used to internet troubleshooting. Did 4000 posts at another defunct site and almost that here. Plus I train apprentices and deal with customers and have to fish useful info from them. Good idea to try it w/o the vent on to see if the obstruction is in the chimney. May still have a weak pressure switch as when working against the chimney (which may be clear) it still trips. Chimney adds backpressure/load to the ventor fan.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #13

ok glad to hear that your used to this type of assistance sometimes it get very tedious for me cause I hear every keystroke and mouse click, it is quite funny come to think about it. So is this pressure switch have two leads to it and it's located right next to the flue at the top of the furnace inside and have like a little reset button in the middle of it? What type of voltage should i see from it and at what stage of the call to heat should i see it and what about shorting it to fake it out if it is faulty switch after the disconnected flue test fails? Good or bad idea from the divide and conquer perspective?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 PM   #14
Hvac Pro

That is a spill switch/blocked vent switch and not your problem. The pressure switch attaches to the right side of the ventor fan if I remember yours and has a small silicone tube from the back or underside of it which attaches to the part of the furnace the ventor fan attaches to (collector box). Jumpering it proves nothing if the draft on that tube is too low. And it is VERY dangerous to run jumpered out. May end up with a flamerollout or fire. Plus you have to catch it at the right time of its startup sequence. I suspect the switch is faulty if everything else is okay.

http://americanhvacparts.com/Merchan...Code=ps-bryant

Back tomorrow, some of the other Pros might be available tonight.

Last edited by yuri; 12-21-2010 at 08:23 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 08:44 PM   #15

terrific! I see this and this is the tube you said to remove and paper clip and then nail to clear it out if required to eliminate if the valve is stuck got will try it and let you know thanks