Bryant 345MAV048100ACKA Exchangers - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bryant 345MAV048100ACKA exchangers

I had new exchengers installed Dec 2011 but am having issues now, furnace went off and no fan at all. Did start up again after unplug 30sec and replug. Then worked all night and today.
Concern is when they installed the exchangers a whole lot of hammering an swearing could be heard and the guts are crooked enough so door doesn't close for one thing. Missing screws etc. Rust evident now (March 2012) but did work till now, about 14 months (in Tahoe).
I called same company couple days ago and they replaced hot surface ignitor but two days later I have this shutdown/manual restart problem. Aside from shoddy workmanship they now won't return my call. I'm always patient and polite, probably to a fault, but help is limited in Tahoe and I need someone to fix this.
I'd like to get a proper service on cleaning hoses out etc in case that's it but another contractor took one look and doesn't want to work on someone elses mess. I'm fairly mechanical, any ideas what I might try?

Advertisement

TruckTahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckTahoe View Post
I had new exchengers installed Dec 2011 but am having issues now, furnace went off and no fan at all. Did start up again after unplug 30sec and replug. Then worked all night and today.
Concern is when they installed the exchangers a whole lot of hammering an swearing could be heard and the guts are crooked enough so door doesn't close for one thing. Missing screws etc. Rust evident now (March 2012) but did work till now, about 14 months (in Tahoe).
I called same company couple days ago and they replaced hot surface ignitor but two days later I have this shutdown/manual restart problem. Aside from shoddy workmanship they now won't return my call. I'm always patient and polite, probably to a fault, but help is limited in Tahoe and I need someone to fix this.
I'd like to get a proper service on cleaning hoses out etc in case that's it but another contractor took one look and doesn't want to work on someone elses mess. I'm fairly mechanical, any ideas what I might try?
Wow that sucks, I completely understand that technicians don't always do everything right, but for them to stop even taking your calls just sucks. At least stand by your work & make it right. As far as anything you could do the fact that a pro came in & said they didn't want to tackle it tells me it's probably beyond a DIY at this point. And from what your describing it sounds like they majorly botched the heat exchanger install and I would bet that's why you're having problems now.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but you may have to have the exchanger installed again or just replace the entire furnace. Was it at least under warranty?

Advertisement

JScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 152

what fault code do you get
HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #4

Thanks for advising guys.
Yes exchangers were covered under warrantee but a lot of other checking it first a few times etc added up.
I don't have the numbers yet to compare repairing it to replacing it. Wish I knew what eactly just happened to it. For all I know it's fixed but hell of a feeling waiting for it to fail.
Didn't have any codes, I think while resetting any that were there went away. If it fails again I'll try and see a code before resetting.
I'm thinking to setup it getting it's combustion chamber air from outside rather than under the home to have cleaner air source. I'll inspect drains and things.
I read in Manual adding a QT of water to prime the condensation system? Anyone know about that? Would it hurt to add?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 874

that is only on startup of a new furnace and very few of them need priming anyway. get the code next time it fails but I have to now wonder how safe that furnace is to use after the hackers got to it. nobody wants to work on it now because they are afraid of endless callbacks and problems with it and hassles. I would start to think about a new furnace or budget for it/save up.

Last edited by yuri; 03-07-2013 at 08:10 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #6

If I replace know any best brands to stay with (or stay away from), efficientcy very important, heating about 2500 sq feet at Tahoe about 5500 ft up?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 874

they all work well but as you know it is far more important to have a reliable quality contractor install and service it. one thing I do say though is you tend to get what you pay for price wise. the more you pay the quieter they get and some of the more major brands have more deluxe features and options than the cheaper guys. Trane, Lennox, Carrier, York are the big boys with lots of R @ D budgets so you may want to consider that.

Advertisement