Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:41 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

BRRRR! NO HEAT! PLEASE HELP! Old Carrier Furnace!

Hello- I'm hoping someone may be able to help me out?

I have an older model commercial Carrier 1984 58SE900141
58SE Deluxe Gas-Fired Forced-Air Furnace with Intermittent Pilot Ignition Device.

Everything seems to be working in proper sequence i.e., thermostat calls for heat, relay turns on blower, automatic pilot light ignites, but the main burners never fire. After a few minutes the pilot light kills itself because there is no gas to the main burners. Is there a sensor that releases the gas when it acknowledges the pilot is lit? I know like in my gas stove there is a "flame igniter" but they didn't start putting those in furnaces until 1992 and this is a 1984 model. Is there some kind of thermocouple that has failed or pilot sensing probe or thermal sensing pilot safety switch . Does anyone know how that old Carrier unit works? Is there any voltage checks I can do with my multimeter? If anyone has information on this old dog I would greatly appreciate it or if you know somewhere I might find info that would be great too!

Thanks-Joe
joeraccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
retired

Check to see if you're getting power to the gas valve. You may have a bad connection, broken wire, or a bad valve. Have you looked for a wiring diagram inside the furnace you can use for a guide?

If you're getting cold you really ought to call someone to come work on it. Trouble shooting via internet forum could take awhile. Some things just aren't worth trying to do DIY, like restore heat when you're freezing and aren't familiar with the system you're trying to fix.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:20 AM   #3

It's not that cold yet dmaceld! I don't believe in paying someone outragious prices when with a little research and a little mechanical aptitude you can fix 99% of home appliance or HVAC problems yourself.

So with that thanks for your reply. I have fixed the problem. That old model Carrier Furnace has a 3-wire
pilot switch and the flame sensor is actually built into the switch. Switch cost me $70 dollars to replace furnace is fixed and heat is flowing.

Thanks to all
joeraccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
retired

Glad you got it fixed. Your subject line says BRRR so I thought you were freezing!

I fully understand the comment about paying someone to fix something you can fix yourself. That's my approach most of the time also. The only problem is those guys have to make a living also. What seems to us to be an outrageous charge, isn't so outrageous when the cost of doing business is taken out and the tech is given his paycheck.

But that's a whole 'nother discussion.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #5

Hello, I have a Carrier Furnace model 58SE. The pilot light comes on and stays on. (with a very nice blue flame) When the t-stat calls for heat the igniter starts ticking and after about ten seconds the main burners light up. The main burners stay on for about 5 seconds and go off. This process repeats itself about 5 times. The burners do not come on and stay on. (they also have a very nice blue flame) Eventually the system times out. Last year it did the same thing but after about two times the burners came on and stayed on. I measured the voltage on the main gas valve. There are three terminals on the gas valve where the voltage is applied. Center appears to be common. Placing one probe on the center terminal and one on the outer it reads like this T1=21.5 vac -Common- T2=27.1 vac. When the gas valve is activated T1=.289 vac - Common- T2=28 vac... When activated the valve seems to go off within a few seconds... Any suggestions would be appreciated.
claypd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

Don't know what type of ignition you have but sounds like the unit isn't proving flame
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:07 PM   #7

Thanks for replying. Is there a sensor to determine if the burners are running okay? AND that tells the burners to stay on until the t-stat is satisfied?

I was also curious as to why one side of the gas valve's voltage input terminals drops to less than a volt when the valve is activated.
claypd is offline   Reply With Quote