Broken Bleeder Valve - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10

Broken bleeder valve

I overtightened the air bleed valve on one of my 1930s radiator. Now it won't tighten and water leaked all over the place. I turned off the water to that one rad and turned the heat off to the house in the hopes that I can fix this. [Here's what the bleeder looks like](

I don't know where to even begin looking for this part. Anything else I can try to get it to screw back on?

Help appreciated!


multiphrenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,448
Rewards Points: 14,026

You need to go back and add your location.
Just go back and tap on your own name to edit the info.
Hard to suggest where to find one when you could be in any part of the world.


joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-19-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM   #3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 615
Rewards Points: 500

If you are carefull ,you can drill out the 1/8 inch threaded port.then drill and tap it out to 1/4 or 1/2 NPT and install a 1/4x 1/8 or a 1/2x1/8 bushing in and then put a new bleeder valve in.
It takes a little time and if you cant borrow a tap then buying one plus the correct size drill bit may sound expensive but new CI radiators are priced like gold.
Or you could call a plumber who has all that stuff and tell him on the phone what you need.That will be a little more but the job will be warrantied and if he cracks the radiator he has to replace it not you.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to REP For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Civil Engineer
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,640
Rewards Points: 4,860

That part you broke looks a lot like mine. I asked my plumbing supply store what they were called the last time I bought some, and they said they were called coin valves. As previously noted, you may be able to drill, tap and install bushing in the existing hydronic tee (that is the cast piece that accepts the coin valve). On my system, the hydronic tee is attached to the rest of the plumbing on one side by a union, and is soldered on the other side. You may be able to replace the entire tee easier than replacing the valve, just a thought.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
plummen (02-19-2012)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help: Broken stem in Moen shower faucet valve cartridge Learning Lots Plumbing 14 04-06-2015 05:27 PM
unable to stop leaky kitchen faucet w/ new valve diy888 Plumbing 0 02-27-2011 08:45 AM
Broken toilet fill valve npac Plumbing 7 08-04-2009 10:26 PM
How to install thermostatic reactive valve and repack supply valve Leah Frances How To Guides 1 06-10-2009 10:49 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1