Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2006, 06:31 AM   #1

Share |

Breaker tripped again

Yikes, now I'm really confused.Replaced the Capacitor for the blower motor and furnace ran fine all day yesterday thru many cycles.This morning comming out of setback at 7am I heard the furnace click on then stop. Yep breaker tripped agian.Reset breaker now its working fine again,can't get it to trip now. So I'm assuming if it sits idle for 8hrs like last night(set point was at 19C and temp never got below 20C)and the motor has cooled down thats when it draws to much current to get going.Could it be anything else?

rookie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:11 AM   #2

Breaker tripped again

Does this breaker supply power to any other circuits?

redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Breaker tripped again

Hi rookie50

Most breakers are made to cycle only about twelve times before the tension bar is shot. I would say if the motor amperage is not shooting off the scale, the breaker itself is shot from tripping all these times.

Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #4

Breaker tripped again

Quote:
Originally Posted by #CARRIERMAN View Post
Hi rookie50

Most breakers are made to cycle only about twelve times before the tension bar is shot. I would say if the motor amperage is not shooting off the scale, the breaker itself is shot from tripping all these times.

Rusty
square D breaker never had any problems with them. Anyway first one tripped twice so I replaced it. This replacement has now tripped twice.
I doubt the breaker is the problem. A 16 year old motor, well maybe its time has come and gone, this could be early sign of failure.It seems to be happening after a long period where the motor hasn't run.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Breaker tripped again

Hi rookie50

I am betting you are probably right, if you got 16 years out of a motor. Give it a gracefull burial.

Rusty
Old 11-29-2006, 09:58 AM   #6

Breaker tripped again

Quote:
Hi rookie50

I am betting you are probably right, if you got 16 years out of a motor. Give it a gracefull burial.

Rusty
Yes I will put it in the nice new motor box container before tossing.Hehe. Thanks Rusty
Old 11-29-2006, 01:05 PM   #7

Breaker tripped again

Quote:
Hi rookie50

Rusty
Rusty I decided to give motor one more day of life.All my metering says its fine, pulls about 12A for a sec or two then runs about 7A.Even the voltage drop when it kicks in is well within acceptable limits.
So I bought a brand new breaker and will let it go another day. If it again trips then I'll put the new motor in.If it still trips after that then I'll probably go bald. Will let you know the outcome. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Breaker tripped again

Hi rookie50

If you have to replace the motor, I would reccomend a A/O Smith model # DL1076. We have had excellent service out of these motors.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 12-02-2006, 05:57 PM   #9

Breaker tripped again

Quote:
Hi rookie50

If you have to replace the motor, I would reccomend a A/O Smith model # DL1076. We have had excellent service out of these motors.

Good luck
Rusty
Rusty, hard to believe but third time is a charm. It appears it was the breaker(s) after all. Held off replacing motor and bought a new 15Amp sq D breaker and its be fine now since Thursday.Supplier says he will accept motor return since I hadn't tried to install yet.
Anyway problem solved thanks for your patience and advice!!