Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brandnew Trane X16i FAILING HELP

Ok so i just purchase a brandnew Trane Unit Xl16i with a Airhandler TAM7A00
TAM7A0C48 Hyperion™ XL Series 7 plus with the XL803 Thermostat
we spend almost $ 9000 on this unit in December 2011

i have a single family home one story approx 2280 sqft.
I had asked for a load calculation when i bought the unit but the sales rep ensured me he knew what he was doing.

Unit ran fine UNTIL about 1 month ago. It first started it would try to come on and kept clicking in the thermostat. so they came out and replaced that. Unit ran fine for a bout 1 week. Then the outdoor unit, which i was told is one of the quietest out there started to be really loud when shutting off. almost like something was stuck in the blade of fan. Then last week i came home saturday at 5 pm and mind you i have my thermostat programmed to come on every day at 5 pm to be at 77 F and when i leave i have it set to 78 F I came home to 83 F in my home!!!

Tech came back out and said needs a NEW compressor!!!! mind you again unit is ONLY 5 month old!!!
That was about 1 week ago they installed new compressor.... and dryer.

Yesterday same thing happens again... set to come on when i return to 77 come back at 5 pm its 83 F in my home. I left at 1 pm. so somewhere between and 5 pm the unit is NOT running BUT it does come back on at around 7-8 pm on both days..... MAYBE it can't handle the HOT HEAT during day????? this is one of the reasons we purchased a new unit because our old unit RAN 24/7..... and now this one wont run at all during day... so YESTERDAY tech came back out and told us a cable was lose and the tech might have hit a PLUG! ....... well again last night and all day today until i left around 1 pm again unit was running fine.... so i come back home at 5 pm again AGAIN 83 F...... i shut unit off and tried to turn it back on NOTHING.... again around 7:15 pm UNIT came back on!!!!

What is going on???? OBVIOUSLY they can't figure it out. Should I ask them to give me a brandnew system???? I feel so uncomfortable to start off with such a LEMON!!!!!

And mind you this is a company that gets all the sales from HOME DEPOT you would think they know what they are doing!!!!

I called their after hour service right at 5 pm and i JUST now got a return call and they said maybe they can send someone out tomorrow. What to do if they can't figure out whats going on? Do you think it's an installation issue or a PRODUCT issue????

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Mandy

jamierenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

I once worked for an hvac company that did calls for Sears. The owner knew what he was doing, his only other tech had no idea and I mean none.

You can leave Home Depot out of the equation, in other words. Shame on them for hiring nincompoops but that's about all the fault they can be held liable for. The rest is on the hvac company's realm of blame.

The compressor going bad is an install fault, most likely. They did not properly flush the lineset and/or did not pull a vacuum, not a good one anyways.

One thing that will cause a compressor to fault so early, acid. Acid stems from a burnout. Was your old compressor grounded or locked up, not working? Moisture as well.

Other than that, I have no idea what's going going on from here but it sounds like a programming issue.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

actually my old unit was still running i just replaced it because i was tired of never being able to cool my house to a comfortable level in the summer plus my AC bills were so high i figured it was time for a new unit!

Wow unbelieveable should I call TRANE??? at what point can i ask for a complete replacement of entire system? or can i at all?
jamierenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,760

Quote:
You can leave Home Depot out of the equation, in other words. Shame on them for hiring nincompoops but that's about all the fault they can be held liable for. The rest is on the hvac company's realm of blame.
HD doesn't employ any HVAC people. They are sub contractors that are Trane dealers. HD gets a big percentage of the sale price.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I agree with DOC, line set may be your problem. I assume they did not install the new line set for you. So, either they did not flush the old line set out completely, or that old line set had problem to begin with(blocked half way, moisture in there, etc.), may be that was why your old system did not perform well. Also, the new system is using 410A which is much more pickier than the old r22 system, everything has to be right on the button, otherwise the new system won't even run. I can not tell you what exactly went wrong over the internet, all above are educated guess based on our experience. Suggest you continue work with the installer to get it fixed.

Last edited by clocert; 05-25-2012 at 10:24 PM.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
HD doesn't employ any HVAC people. They are sub contractors that are Trane dealers. HD gets a big percentage of the sale price.

I know, just like Sears. Why it's the hvac contractors problem and not Home Depot. Nor can or should it be expected that simply since any company "works" for Home Depot or Sears that they, the contracted company, really know or care about what they do.

That's what I was trying to say.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamierenae View Post
actually my old unit was still running i just replaced it because i was tired of never being able to cool my house to a comfortable level in the summer plus my AC bills were so high i figured it was time for a new unit!

Wow unbelieveable should I call TRANE??? at what point can i ask for a complete replacement of entire system? or can i at all?

Tuff question. You can try Trane and see what they say. They very well may send out one of their service techs, it's happened before.

Many people would be asking already but asking doesn't mean you'll get one. Besides, this isn't an entire system issue, this seems to be a component or two coupled with a possibly bad install, why the compressor went out. The lineset issue, if indeed there was one that initially caused the first comrpessor to fail, will only cause the compressor to fail again if not addressed. It will not harm the evaporator or the blower/air handler/furnace.

Whenever you feel as if the company is not going out of their way to make this right is when you start threatening. You should be number one priority at this moment regardless of how busy they are. I know you would be if you were my customer, but then again you wouldn't be in this boat if I installed it.

Please let us know what you do and what the outcome is.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 3,760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
I know, just like Sears. Why it's the hvac contractors problem and not Home Depot. Nor can or should it be expected that simply since any company "works" for Home Depot or Sears that they, the contracted company, really know or care about what they do.

That's what I was trying to say.
Sears uses subcontractors to install equipment that they(Sears) sales. The sub contractor basically only gets paid labor.

HD provides leads to the Trane contractor that directly sales the equipment to the customer. HD also offers financing for that equipment to aid in the sales of he equipment.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
DIY hobbyist

Rewards Points: 25

Very sad to hear. That is a very nice unit. I have installed top of the line units and low budget units, it all comes down to proper installs. Changing r-22 units to 410 requires cleaning existing ref. piping or replacing if possible is the first issue. Most TRANE units require proper programming at start - up. Its hard to say what is going on with yours, you will have to remember also that some equipment will come with factory flaws. I would call trane to get a referral to a reputable dealer, eat the loses and move on. Do not let this experience leave a bad taste about the A/C trade, there are SOME good people left in this world, and some do A/C work. GOOD LUCK
ggold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
REP

Rewards Points: 500

At this pouint in time your contractor has shown how incapable he is.
The time is now to get the factory involved.I have had customers call Trane after the first problem believe it or not.The reason I sold Trane was because after dealing with almost everyone they always seemed to be the most concerned with the end user.
If I were you I would demand a factory service rep now.Tell them if he can't figure it out you wand the whole unit replaced.
When the rep shows up have all your papewrwork in order.Have your complant listed in its proper order so you don't confuse him by starting in the middle then going to the end and then to the beginning.
If you have lost faith in the contractor you can demand a differant contractor but the new guy will not be able to cover the first year labor c osts.
REP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

It sounds to me that it all goes back to the installing contractor and the job they did. It is VERY doubtful that it was the equipment manufacturer at fault. A poorly installed system has no chance. File a complaint with the BBB against the contractor as well. They have showed that they don't know what they are doing.