Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #1

Share |

brain teaser

I was putting on a new thermostat and everything didn't work the way it was suppose to. So I tried 2 other thermostats and wired them the same exact way and got different results for each. How that makes sense I have no idea. For some examples fan on would make me lose power to everything the blower fan inside and outside would never shut off and I would have to kill everything at the breaker when I was done with the air. Its a mess in the furnace wire wise and my buddy and I have been trying to make sense of it all to get this to work with no success. Im ready to call a service tech but im afraid of the bill.

workinmann17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #2

brain teaser

tried 2 digital non programmable t stats
tried 1 dial stat
tried adding a contacter
transformer is getting super hot
tried wiring up just a/c with no heat
fans run to no end
breakers pop
EVERYTIME I DO SOMETHING I GET DIFFERENT RESULTS!!!
HOW?!

Been trying for a few weeks any help to make any sense of this would be a god send.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #3

brain teaser

just looking for someone to post back and stick with me on this one because who ever can solve this one is a genius.

Thanks a million
Old 07-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #4

brain teaser

You need to get the wiring diagram for your a/c, furnace unit. It should detail where the thermostat wires are attached. You also need to make sure thermostat is designed for your type of system; there is no universal thermostat as far as I know.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

brain teaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
You need to get the wiring diagram for your a/c, furnace unit.

Definately need a wiring diagram. This site may help :

http://high-performance-hvac.com/the...tallation.html
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

brain teaser

I have a wiring diagram for the stat and the furnace. There is no diagram for the ac I think it was added in later. The guy who owned the house before me probably did it himself because its a mess. The stat has different wiring options for all systems. I tried hooking it up for both 1 transformer and 2 since theres one for heating a one for cooling.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #7

brain teaser

This issue is something other than the stat its like the stat is sending out its signals and their getting messed up somewhere down the line or just not getting through at all. I truely believe I am missing a part or a relay or something is not wiring down stairs properly but I have tried so many different things I just don't think it will ever be solved.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #8

brain teaser

Take all the low voltage wires off of the thermostat and furnace. Write down what color went where on the furnace as you remove each wire. Then twist two wires together and check the other end for continuity. Continue to check pairs untill all wires are identified. Bet your wires are spliced in a place or two and they change colors.

Last edited by Marty S.; 07-06-2011 at 07:15 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #9

brain teaser

all furnace power off as stated remove all the wires off the stat subbase write them down colors/letters ....down at the furnace remove the stat wires going in again color/lettering...go out to the condenser and only note the pair of stat wires coming in...typical color for the indusrty is R-Red/hot side tr G-green/Fan Y-Cooling W-Heat C can be any spare.the letter on the stat subbase should be the same color going into the furnace terminal strip...get that far and we will tie in the condenser...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is online now   Reply With Quote