Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Share |

Box ac unit floods room

People,

Kenmore unit, about 13 years old, blowing cold, somehow flooded area in front of the unit. I remember years ago talking with Sears about how this unit does not have a drip/drain tube going outside, and they explained that the condensation drips onto a pan, then "evaporates". Goofy, I thought. Now, maybe its coming to haunt me. It destroyed the wood flooring.

Why do you think NOW it finally decided to flood, and not "dry out/evaporate" like it was designed? What shoyuld I do to check it out? Remove/slide unit out?

Thnaks!

Old 08-18-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 116

Box ac unit floods room

If the unit is working to remove heat from the air and there is considerable moisture in the air...it will not just "dry out" the pan.

It needs to process and dispose of the moisture if the Relative Humidity in the room is high enough.

It is also possible that the unit was sweating (i.e. its cold and contacting the warm moisture air forms condensation) where it meets the floor.

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #3

Box ac unit floods room

So how does this figure? Of course ac units remove heat /humidity from the air. This design worked for 13 years. Florida humidity didnt just start now. I wouldnt think sears engineers designed this unit to work satisfactorily just in low humidity environments.

Somethings going on inside there. Im thinking pulling it out/inspecting is the only option.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2

Box ac unit floods room

Assume you are dealing with a window AC..

It should slope slightly lower to the outside edge so that the condensate migrates to the outside, not a lot just a small amount of slope is enough. If the condensate pan overflows it should do so outside. The condenser fan usually picks up small amounts of the collected water to aid cooling the coils and in turn evaporating the water. This helps the efficiency of the unit and alleviates much of the dripping. On days of extremely high humidity though it may collect more than it can evaporate and in that case would drip to the outside.

If you are getting water inside then the unit is either not sloping enough or even the wrong direction, has some buildup of rust, dirt, etc. in the pan that may be damming the water causing it to flow inside or possibly the pan is cracked or rusted out.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
noquacks (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

Box ac unit floods room

Quote:
Originally Posted by noquacks View Post
So how does this figure? Of course ac units remove heat /humidity from the air. This design worked for 13 years. Florida humidity didnt just start now. I wouldnt think sears engineers designed this unit to work satisfactorily just in low humidity environments.

Somethings going on inside there. Im thinking pulling it out/inspecting is the only option.
Probably needs a good cleaning. Chanel to slinger is probably clogged. Pull unit out and give it a good cleaning.
hvactech126 (08-18-2013), noquacks (08-18-2013)
Old 08-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #6

Box ac unit floods room

Thanks, peple, for fast replies. Time to slide it out.......that thing's heavy!