Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |

boom noise after heat goes off

Hello everyone. I noticed that when my heat goes off (forced hot air) it blows nice and everything is ok besides 2 things. One is that right after it shuts off, i hear a echo bang noise from the vents. sounds like someone is in the basement and hits the vent with there hands and the boom travels through the vents and i hear it up stairs.

second, is i have noticed that my heat goes on alot. for example it would go on once every five min, is this normal? its not like i have a draft or something big where my temp drops frequently. the filter has been changed about 3 weeks ago.

fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

Sounds like the return duct is making the noise.. Is the furnace cycling on & off on limit ?? What has the temp in the house droped to when furnace cycles on & off ??

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
Sounds like the return duct is making the noise.. Is the furnace cycling on & off on limit ?? What has the temp in the house droped to when furnace cycles on & off ??
the temp must just drop a degree or 2 maybe 3 and it kicks on again. limit? i dont know, i just purchased the house and this is my first house so i dont know what im looking at. what would be making noise in the return duct? something i can strap down or screw down?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

suction on the blower.. Lack of air flow .. You may want to have the evap. coil check /cleaned.. Previous owner may not have changed filters or had a filter at all.. About cycling on it the temp in the house is dropping . then, the furnace will cycle on to bring house up to temp setting.. Some t.stats are off by 2-4 deg + or - depending on type of t.stat It may not be level
Old 04-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
suction on the blower.. Lack of air flow .. You may want to have the evap. coil check /cleaned.. Previous owner may not have changed filters or had a filter at all.. About cycling on it the temp in the house is dropping . then, the furnace will cycle on to bring house up to temp setting.. Some t.stats are off by 2-4 deg + or - depending on type of t.stat It may not be level

? what?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:22 PM   #6
HVAC / Plumbing

what do you mean ?? what. I was telling you somethings that would make the return pop whan blower turns off air restriction , blocked coil ,etc, Or it just be the way the return is constructed.. Ie if metel not cross broke,
Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #7

Can you adjust the heat anticipator setting? If so that might help. Also turn the heat up and let it run for a while, then turn the stat down and go to where your duct work is an see if you can locate where the noise is comming from. If you have a restricted or partially restricted coil the supply duct would more than likely pop due to the metal getting hot(expanding and contracting) If the coil was plugged you are not moving enough air so I doubt it would be the return popping because the fan would not be drawing in any air. For example if you have a box fan and block the outlet will anything be sucked in(no)
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
HVAC / Plumbing

May also try removing your filter & see if the noise stops, Return mabe too small an uninsulated return will sometimes do this
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #9

Had to jump in on this one! I have had a similar problem,(electric Furnace) but mine seems to be cured now. I have a cat that on occasion would take a stroll through the void where the duct work is, and shortly thereafter I got the boom on startup and shutdown. I put it down to his weight having dented a piece of ductwork, and when it got really annoying I went searching for it, found the area that was visibly vibrating and cushioned it with a piece of that round pipe insulation. Job done! All is well with me now, except that once in a while, we seem to hear a slight "swooshing" sound from the basement area where the furnace is (Furnace not on) don't know if that has anything to do with the heating system, or is just totally unconnected!
But I do have a couple of questions though,

If your thermostat (digital) is set fot lets say 68 degrees, how far below 68 will the temp have to drop before the furnace kicks in, and is there any adjustments you can make to it, or is that built into the thermostat?

Also, I find that I will hear the thermostat click at say 68 and by the time the system cools / shuts down, the reading will be 69, so again, is there an adjustment on the furnace that shortens the "hang time" (if you know what I mean) between the thermostat telling the furnace to shut down, and it actually shutting down? At the moment I am setting the temp setting a degree cooler than I want it to allow for the difference.
Sorry about this LONG post!
Thanks!
whatsthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Hvac Pro

Most of the better quality electronic thermostats are accurate to 1 degF differential. The leftover heat in the heat exchanger causes it to rise 1 deg. The old mercury type were 2-3 degF. Electric furnaces should be set for elec. on the switch at the back of the thermostat subbase or in the programming.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:09 PM   #11

Fabian

I had the same problem, boom sound a few seconds after the forced air gas furnace shut down. I found it was the filter that was clogged, I replaced the filter and all was fine. Now I can tell when I need to replace the filter by the boom sound. Replacing the filter may also fix your repeated start/stop. The heat exchanger gets to hot because of low airflow and automatically shuts the furnace down before the thermostat has reached the correct temperature.
j.crugerhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.crugerhansen View Post
Fabian

I had the same problem, boom sound a few seconds after the forced air gas furnace shut down. I found it was the filter that was clogged, I replaced the filter and all was fine. Now I can tell when I need to replace the filter by the boom sound. Replacing the filter may also fix your repeated start/stop. The heat exchanger gets to hot because of low airflow and automatically shuts the furnace down before the thermostat has reached the correct temperature.
i wish that was my situation but i changed my filter about 3 weeks ago.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:05 AM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Sounds like you have undersized duct work.

Which means it could be the duct is contracting from thermal expansion, or from the relief of too much pressure, or a combination of both.

A oversized furnace tends to have short on and off cycles.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote